Radio / Clock display problem 1998 and up Explorers ( blank / fade / blanks / fades ) | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio / Clock display problem 1998 and up Explorers ( blank / fade / blanks / fades )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently bought a '98 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the Mach system and display out, so I replaced it with the Dorman power supply board but the cd/clock display is still out. Has anyone had any experience with what to do if the power supply board does not fix the issue?? I checked the board behind the lcd display but haven't been able to detect any kind of damage or bad solder....

I recently bought a '98 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the Mach system and display out, so I replaced it with the Dorman power supply board but the cd/clock display is still out. Has anyone had any experience with what to do if the power supply board does not fix the issue?? I checked the board behind the lcd display but haven't been able to detect any kind of damage or bad solder....

i just learned (from Dorman) that the board they sell, 586-001, WILL NOT work on the vehicles equipped with the 6-Disc CD changer. I learned this the hard way, but can return the board, which i will be doing tomorrow. does your truck have the CD changer? there was i guy who repaired these radios. i have an email out to him now. he used to charge $45 with you paying shipping both ways + insurance.

Here's the info i have:
Radio display fix: Trever can be found at (sayko4@aol.com) He charged me $45.00 plus shipping. All I did was mail him my radio w/ return postage to E.Mike Harrington at 304 Hartin Blvd,Summerville,SC 29483. He wants you to put your name ,address in the box w/radio. Be sure to really pack it well especially the front knobs.

i just learned (from Dorman) that the board they sell, 586-001, WILL NOT work on the vehicles equipped with the 6-Disc CD changer. I learned this the hard way, but can return the board, which i will be doing tomorrow. does your truck have the CD changer?

Haha I actually JUST read your post, not more than a minute ago! Yeah I've got the single disk in dash with the changer in the console. So I'm guessing it's back to the old board and trying to re-solder that? Now I'm glad I kept the old one. Have you had any luck finding a solution for yours other than sending it to someone? I would just rather not pay someone if I could solder/tinker with it myself.

i just learned (from Dorman) that the board they sell, 586-001, WILL NOT work on the vehicles equipped with the 6-Disc CD changer. I learned this the hard way, but can return the board, which i will be doing tomorrow. does your truck have the CD changer? there was i guy who repaired these radios. i have an email out to him now. he used to charge $45 with you paying shipping both ways + insurance.

Interesting, and why wouldn't that 586-001 not work with a changer?

The HU's are the same regardless of whether there is a changer or not. This display issue is about two HU's only, both made by Pioneer.

The Mach has the fifth output for a sub, plus the low frequencies are cut out of the four other outputs.

Interesting, and why wouldn't that 586-001 not work with a changer?

The HU's are the same regardless of whether there is a changer or not. This display issue is about two HU's only, both made by Pioneer.

The Mach has the fifth output for a sub, plus the low frequencies are cut out of the four other outputs.

Dorman tech support didn't say why it wouldn't work, just that it wouldn't. i was on the phone with them for 15 mins. obviously there's something different between these two models of radios/power boards. this is the second time i've tried the 586-001 boards in my CD changer equipped vehicles with the same result. the radios may look the same, but they are not.

Dorman tech support didn't say why it wouldn't work, just that it wouldn't. i was on the phone with them for 15 mins. obviously there's something different between these two models of radios/power boards. this is the second time i've tried the 586-001 boards in my CD changer equipped vehicles with the same result. the radios may look the same, but they are not.

That's why I wrote "interesting." I dealt with a pro who fixed my one Mach before, and he knew them extremely well. He installed five RCA pre-outs in mine, (which I have yet to make use of:().

That would suggest that there are four Pioneer decks, two Machs and two Premium units.

My truck didn't come with the Mach radio, it had been installed prior, using an adapter harness. But I don't know if the truck had a changer before, and the adapter wiring leads to my console, past the connector and to the changer. I don't think my truck had either, but then that makes me wonder about the sub also. Hmm, lots of variables.

That's why I wrote "interesting." I dealt with a pro who fixed my one Mach before, and he knew them extremely well. He installed five RCA pre-outs in mine, (which I have yet to make use of:().

That would suggest that there are four Pioneer decks, two Machs and two Premium units.

My truck didn't come with the Mach radio, it had been installed prior, using an adapter harness. But I don't know if the truck had a changer before, and the adapter wiring leads to my console, past the connector and to the changer. I don't think my truck had either, but then that makes me wonder about the sub also. Hmm, lots of variables.

below is the list of radios that the Dorman board will work on. my radios were XL2F-18C868-CA.

Application Notes:

AM/FM/Cass/Single CD Cont; ID No. 3L5T-18C868-AA thru AC; Premium Sound
AM/FM/Cass/Single CD Cont; ID No. XL2F-18C868-AB thru AD; Premium Sound
AM/FM/Cass/Single CD Cont; ID No. 2L5T-18C868-AA thru AB; Premium Sound
AM/FM/Cass/Single CD Cont; ID No. XL2F-18C868-BA; Premium Sound
AM/FM/Cass/Single CD Cont; ID No. F87F-18C868-CA thru CE; Premium Sound

Thanks for that list. I'll check mine and the spare I have somewhere.

Just a follow up to my post.. I bought the Dorman board back in December of 2013. It went blank again a few weeks ago. I contacted Dorman and they said the board (586-001) had a limited lifetime warranty, and for me to contact the original place of purchase (Amazon, in my case). Anyway, long story short, Dorman took all my information and requested a replacement from Amazon. It showed up the next day. Now, it's working again.

So, if you have one that goes bad, contact Dorman.

Just a follow up to my post.. I bought the Dorman board back in December of 2013. It went blank again a few weeks ago. I contacted Dorman and they said the board (586-001) had a limited lifetime warranty, and for me to contact the original place of purchase (Amazon, in my case). Anyway, long story short, Dorman took all my information and requested a replacement from Amazon. It showed up the next day. Now, it's working again.

So, if you have one that goes bad, contact Dorman.

Thank you for that update, and was your radio the Mach(sub) or the Premium?

Thank you for that update, and was your radio the Mach(sub) or the Premium?

I believe it's the mach. RDS button and sub in the hatch area

I believe it's the mach. RDS button and sub in the hatch area

Excellent. It's been suggested here that the Dorman part wouldn't work for the Mach radio, so I've been worried. I have one to install into a spare Mach I got long ago. Thanks,

I followed this thread and repaired the dead display in my 1999 Mercury Mountaineer this afternoon. It took three tries but finally worked! I re soldered everything on the board but noticed the problem seemed to be with the large grey resistors near the large torrid wirewound coil. Let's see how long it lasts!

The thread's still going!
My display has been working when it wants, so I pulled the power supply board and reflowed it. It looks like the radio has been punched a few times.
The display initially came on bright, but at one point it faded briefly until I touched the volume knob. As soon as I touched the knob, the display came back on full bright and stayed that way.
I re touched every single solder join on that power supply board and repaired as much physical damage as I could to the display and control board.
I'll probably have to buy a replacement radio due to the physical damage, but for now everything I've tested works. I haven't tested the tape player or any of the CD functions just yet.
On a positive note, the CD changer is the exact same Clarion model as what's in my Expedition. The cartridges are interchangeable.

I have another Explorer to work on now, a 98 Limited. This one doesn't have the MACH radio, but a similar radio with no cassette, a clock button etc. I plan to fix the display of my spare MACH, and install it to see if it's all good in this truck.

Back