Radio/Clock Display

bob68r

Reaction score
City, State
Pacific Palisades, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger, 2000 Explorer
Hi,
I am a new member and need a little information.
I just purchased an almost perfect 2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer.
It's "almost" because the the digital display on the radio panel doesn't work! The radio, CD etc. work perfectly. Just no display. This is the same radio/clock panel I have in my 2000 Ranger XLT, and it has worked perfectly since new!
I purchased the Explorer from a friend, (the original owner) That said the display just dimmed out and went away a long time ago. She was informed by someone that it would be very expensive to fix, so she never bothered with repairing it. I would like to fix it myself or find out who should fix it.
I have been reading the many tech. threads and have found them very informative! I haven't seen one on this subject.
Thanks for any help,
Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well my guess would be that either the LEDs went bad or maybe the wire is lose. If you go to Walmart, there is these two clips that pull out the radio by the holes on the side. They are sold as a pair and are less than $5. Pull it out and check the wires and make sure they are all secured in the wire harness.

Thanks

Buffalo,
Thanks the reply and suggestion. I'll check out the removal clips and see what's going on. If I can't find the problem, I might take you up on your nice offer!
Thanks again, Bob

Yep...dead display. There are two types of radios of that model. Those with a dead display, and those that will have a dead display.

You can actually pull the radio and toss it in your fridge for a while then plug it back in immediately after removal. It will probably work until it warms back up. Don't know why you would ever want to do that, but these things seem to work when it's cold.

I priced a repair from the authorized Ford repair shop in Phoenix. They wanted $350. I told him to put the pipe down. On eBay, there are a couple of places selling brand new ones for $250 that have the upgraded boards. Then you can find used ones in the $50 to $75 range, but why would you buy one used that's probably going to die anyway?

May I ask, who would think of that? I would never even consider putting my headunit in the freezer. Wouldn't want to get it near any water at all. Plus I would be nervous to crack a chip or something.

Thanks to evereyone for all the good tips!
I got the radio removel pins this morning and pulled it out of the car. I took it apart and removed the power supply board. It all looked pretty good, but re soldered a lot points on the board. I put it back in and the display works! It still has a problem though. It is very dim, Like it should be when the headlights are on for night driving. When you turn on the headlights, the display goes away!
I would like to buy a new P.S. board and just re place it. Does anyone know where I could order a "up dated" board?
Thanks for all your help,
Bob

May I ask, who would think of that? I would never even consider putting my headunit in the freezer. Wouldn't want to get it near any water at all. Plus I would be nervous to crack a chip or something.

One of the symptoms of these boards is they work when cold. I read where someone tried this to confirm the problem and it worked for a few minutes. Like I said...I don't know why you would want to do that. Crack a chip? From what? These things sit out in 30 below weather in the winter. The fridge isn't even freezing.

Contact Speedometer Service... (think that is correct) in Dunwoody,Ga. They have the new improved power supply board to repair your display. $93.00 plus shipping. Speak to Hamp. (as in Hampton) Very nice knowledgeable folks...

Contact Speedometer Service in Dunwoody,Ga and you can buy the LED power supply board. I just ordered one and it is $93.00 plus 10.00 shipping to Nashville,Tn. It is easy to install once you get the radio out.

Why not just buy a new head unit? That's what I am going to do.

Zonianbrat-
A new LCD "head" will not fix the problem. The problem is in the display power board which is located on the main chassis along the one side.
Thanks to all for the help!~ It looks like I should get a new power board for around $100 or a whole new updated radio from Pacific for around $250!
I had the board out and resoldered the connections, but it only worked for a few days!
Thanks again, Bob

I just tossed mine in the trash. Wasn't worth fixing IMO.

bob68,
I installed the power supply board from the speedometer service guys and it fixed my display. The kit actually has 3 boards but all you need is the one on the top left when looking at it from the front. I think you said you already resoldered it. The new one is revised with the resistors raised off the board for additional cooling. If a new head unit is what you want by all means but if to keep you original (which is what I wanted) is you goal then the guys in Dunwoody,Ga can I think solve your problem.

Seldont,
Thanks for the good info!
I think this is the right way to go. The radio/CD works perfectly so it would be nice to keep it "Original".
I am leaving the Explorer at my desert Home in La Quinta, Calif. for the next few weeks. When I bring it back to my regular home in Pacific Paliasades, Calif., I'll do something about it.
I also have a 2000 Ranger that has never had the problem! I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Thanks again to all on the forum that replied,
Bob

Back