Radio Signal Cuts Out | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio Signal Cuts Out

I have a '16 Exp and a '10 Sport Trac. I have no problem with reception or signal drop with either. Sound quality is about the same with both.

Just curious if I'm alone here. I've been an XM user literally since before launch in August of 2001, being one of the first 50 customers from Texas. I have never had an issue with reception, between the old Terk antennas, the micro single wire antennas, to the factory offerings from Audi and Honda. Now that I've reupped my subscription, I'm noticing that this thing cuts out a LOT with buildings and overpasses, even just being near large interchanges too. I never noticed the cutout so bad on any other vehicle before, nor do I remember the compression on most channels sounding like my head was in a fish bowl. Anyone else have experience with SAT radio before the explorer and share my observations?
There are several posts in this thread complaining about signal loss. I for one can say I have not experienced this but then I don't drive downtown where the tall buildings are. Since XM/Sirius broadcasts are via satellite, I wouldn't be surprised at the occasional signal loss in such conditions. I believe there are also a few posts on the satellite signal compression in the 'Modified' sub forum.

Peter

Sirius/XM has terrestrial transmitters in major cities, so the radio will not cut out if satellite line of sight is broken. I do not believe Ford OEM receivers have the terrestrial signal receivers. From the aftermarket receivers I had in the past, I got the feeling this requires a dedicated terrestrial receiver that works in tandem with the sat receiver.

Sirius/XM has terrestrial transmitters in major cities, so the radio will not cut out if satellite line of site is broken. I do not believe Ford OEM receivers have the terrestrial signal receivers. From the aftermarket receivers I had in the past, I got the feeling this requires a dedicated terrestrial receiver that works in tandem with the sat receiver.

This makes a lot more sense now. I had never had the intermittent issues with any other vehicle before, so I wasnt sure if this was a Sirius thing or a Ford thing.

Back