• Register Today It's free!

Radio volume control

Phil02

Reaction score
City, State
Penngrove, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I have a 2002 xlt with the stock radio. When you try to adjust the volume it sometimes responds and sometimes when you go to turn it down it increases the volume. Has anyone else had this problem and has anyone been able to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2002 xlt with the stock radio. When you try to adjust the volume it sometimes responds and sometimes when you go to turn it down it increases the volume. Has anyone else had this problem and has anyone been able to fix it?

Welcome to the forum Phil. My 2002 XLT does this once in a while too. I have the stock 6 disc CD player/radio. Oh well, 16 year old vehicle that I bought new. It's been very good to me and I can live with this little annoyance.

Time to replace the radio, as I did in my Explorer, and need to replace the one in my F150 for the very same reason.
Here's a link to a helpful source of radios, good phone help, etc.
Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV
Welcome to the forum Phil. My 2002 XLT does this once in a while too. I have the stock 6 disc CD player/radio. Oh well, 16 year old vehicle that I bought new. It's been very good to me and I can live with this little annoyance.
The only reason it is an issue is that I got a Blue Tooth device that lets me hear my phone through the radio and it is at a different volume than the radio so when I switch back and forth I sometimes get blasted.

You can buy the new or refurbished radio face online and change it yourself or you can have it repaired. the wiper gets worn and causes this.

Same prob my radio...nothing lasts forever. Time for something new.

Wrecking yards are full of these, $30 or so.
If you want to keep OE.

I wanted to keep radio because I got one of those devices that lets you make phone calls through your radio. I was looking at Amazon and it looks like I can get a new radio that does it all for under $100 including a new trim to fit and a wiring harness to plug in to the Ford plug.

Amazon or Crutchfield, either one, buy a radio with Bluetooth and you can connect your phone to the system very easily -- then you can answer phone calls through the stereo while you drive down the road. As for Amazon, the connections and mounts cost extra -- as for Crutchfield, the connections and mounts are included in the price (keep that in mind if price shopping).

I had one of those Bluetooth adapters for my OEM radio, the volume on it was so low that I had to crank the radio when using Pandora or receiving a call.

Bought a Kenwood system with Bluetooth, DVD player and backup camera on sale from Crutchfield for about $300. It not only came with the dash mount and wiring adapter, it also came with detailed instructions on taking apart the dash and removing the old radio.

Best $300 bucks I spent on an ‘upgrade’ in a long time.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ is a great place as well and tbh usually beats crutchfield out for pricing and they include everything to install a radio as well. I have bought tons of radio gear from there over the years. And iirc they will match other places as well. Also www.onlinecarstereo.com is another place to check out but they don't include any harness or kit when buying a stereo

Last summer I bought a new radio / CD player to replace a radio with a bad volume ghost. Cost was about $130 and has Bluetooth and USB. I can now carry my entire album collection. I also bought the connectors for the steering wheel controls. I only wish I had done it a year earlier. Time to swap the radios was about an hour.

It looks like replacing the radio is the way to go. I bought a back up camera a while ago that I haven't installed yet so I wondering if I should get a radio that can get that signal. I prefer a radio that I can feel the buttons on so I don't have to look at it while I'm driving and of the double din radios that have a screen non have this that I have found yet.

Back