Radius arm bushing help--western WA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radius arm bushing help--western WA

not turbo

Reaction score
City, State
Everett WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 Bronco 2
I've got an 87 B2 that desperately needs radius arm bushings.

Can't really afford full-shop prices, anyone here a DITY'er with the tools/experience? I looked at it, and think it's beyond my abilities and tools....I'm in the Everett area, north of Seattle.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not really beyond your abilities, it's pretty simple really.

There are 2 ways to do it.

Jack up and place jack stands.

Remove tires

1. Grind off the heads of the rivits holding the brackets on, punch them out and remove brackets. Replace front RA bushing, bolt brackets back onto frame with Grade 8 bolts, slide RA back into bracket, replace rear bushing, tighten and get alignment.

2. Disconnect sway bar and shocks, unbolt coil spring and remove. Unbolt RA, pull it forward until you can replace the front bushing, slide RA back into bracket, replace rear bushing. Replace coil spring, reconnect sway bar and shocks, tighten everything and get alignment.

:D

Perhaps DiffWhackDaddy will respond and assist )he's in Mt Vernon:)cool:

I have the grade 8 bolts (I have 4 rivets, 2/side; also 2 bolts)

Rivets and I don't get along too well...for that matter neither do sledgehammers.:thumbsup: :D And since this is my daily driver I don't want to delay repairs due to my inexperience.

you get er done?

you get er done?

Nope. Work takes too much time (not that I'm complaining...) and even if I had time it's beyond my skills and tool set.

Like I said in the OP, I'm looking for someone who can do this for me. I can provide cool refreshments, and/or cash.

I am going to a nearby mechanic shop on Monday to ask for an estimate...first to torch out the rivets, and install the Class 8's (at which point I could finish the istall at home)....and second, to install the bushings entirely.

It's the rivets that are the difficult part....waaah waaah. :D

Yeah, the rivets are a real bear if you don't have a grinder and an air punch. I would love to help you out, but I am currently in the middle of a roofing project and if you drove into my carport right now you would need 4 new tires as well.

I should be done with the roof this weekend if you can hold out another week I would be glad to help you out.

I can help ya out in a couple weeks. My schedule frees up around 8/22. I have been known to work for beer and/or pizza. I am on the other side of the water, but I'd be up for it if Diffwhackdaddy can't help:) It wouldn't be a problem to knock it out in an afternoon:cool:

just an fyi torching those bolts out is sketch :( lol right behind those rivets On the drivers side is the fuel Line ANd i found out the hard way

Dumbass, if you go the torch way, you just torch off the heads and then knock the rest out with an air punch. But I only do it that way if I don't care about saving the crossmember as there is usualy a little collateral damage. A grinder only takes a few more minutes and saves the crossmember for re-use.
Posted via Mobile Device

When I got some replacements at the wrecking yard, he used a torch. No damage to the bracket...but I'm sure he has been doing it a LONG time...and has done it more times than all of us combined.

Ryan

Back