radius bushings were just replaced and i still need help.................. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

radius bushings were just replaced and i still need help..................

jbcisneros03

Reaction score
City, State
san jose, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91xlt
I replaced my radius arm bushings due to a clunking noise that was coming from my front axle. thinking that the noise would be gone I took off for a test drive. the noise is still their.

The noise is only heard and felt when I stop or when I make a turn (The clunk is not as hard ) . I took a look under the exp. and had my brother turn the wheels while I tryed to point out the problem. Two things were happening the first was my drive shaft going to the front. It would pop up and down as the wheels were turnning forcing the front def. to pop forward and back. Now, I am not sure what is making the noise but it sure as hell is making me madddddd. If any one out there has a clue of what may be wrong PLEASE DROP ME AN E-MAIL.................

how do you know when your front diff. is busted and how does it affect you 4x4????????????????

A noise in the front drivehsaft, differential, and axleshafts should be easily "eliminated" by disengaging the hubs (assuming the hubs are working properly and will disengage). The first question I would ask is, can you disengage the hubs so the wheels spin independently of the axleshafts? Take out the differential fill plug and stick your finger inside and see what the condition of the fluid is.

maybe the pivot bushings for the traction beams are wore out? Like how much it the driveshaft moving forward and backward?shouldn't move that much.
Also check for a broken coil spring or shock.
You could also check for broken tranny or motor mounts.

Back