• Register Today It's free!

Rain makes my exp skittish...

jdhermit

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Hopefully this is correct forum. Can anyone offer advice here?
In ANY kind of wet conditions, my Explorer spins its tires constantly. The tires are stock size, Michelin (can't remember the exact name, but dealer recommended), properly inflated, only have 10,000 miles on them.

The truck is NOT in the best maintained condition regarding suspension, but would that cause this? I mean, anytime its wet, and I make a turn from a dead stop, it spins. Even on level ground. And I'm really not flooring it.

I searched, and saw a lot of people saying their Exp's handled fine in the rain.

Thanks in advance...tired of skidding everywhere.

jdhermit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would just accelerate less. Are you 4x4? If so, auto 4x4 should kick in when you rear tires are spinning, therefore giving you more traction.

Yes, its 4x4. But I've never (nobody yell @ me here) put it in 4WD, either "auto" or "low".
I've had it two years, its never been switched out of 2WD.

Should I be putting it in 4WD for rain? That doesn't seem right.
I've had tons of trucks and SUV's, and never had to put anything in 4WD for rain...not saying that its wrong, just I've never done it.

jdhermit

What kind of condition are your tires in? You mentioned they only have 10,000 miles on them, but with a worn out suspension system like you mentioned, they could be almost bald in spots.

The truck should be in auto 4x4 by default. There is no selectable 2wd. When it detects the rear tires slipping, the front axle engages automatically.

It probably would not be a bad idea to put the 4x4 through it's paces to make sure it is working properly.

Its likely the tires. I've had Goodyears, Generals, and Kumho's. All were relatively easy to break loose. I have some Yokohama Geolander AT's now, damn near impossible to break loose in the rain.

AJR- There IS selectable 2WD on 95-96. The switch has 2WD- 4AUTO- 4LOW.

The tires look good actually. I've had them 2 years/10k (I Drive very little.)
Haven't rotated them, but just from a quick inspection they still look almost brand new.

And I think it was doing this when I first got the tires too.

:(

jd

The truck should be in auto 4x4 by default. There is no selectable 2wd. When it detects the rear tires slipping, the front axle engages automatically.

It probably would not be a bad idea to put the 4x4 through it's paces to make sure it is working properly.

Yeah, I guess that's a good idea (on the 4x4). But...I'm REALLY confused. For all the trucks I've had, they've all been 2wd. I "think" on the dash, it says 2WD, 4wd 'auto', and 4wd 'low'. or something like that. BUT this is just going on my memory, and i've never really paid attention to the 4wd.
I also think it says "control trac" on the back of the truck, or something like that.

Again, nobody yell at me ;) I've just never paid attention to the 4wd.

jd

If you truck is in 2wd when your tires are spinning I would just got 4wd auto.
4wd auto keeps you in 2wd only until it feels your tires slipping then the 4wd will engage.

he has a 95...so it has true 2wd...auto 4x and 4low....

4auto adds power to the front when the rear tires loose traction, so in throry you could use it in the rain...i wouldent, but you could.....if your tires are a very hard compound that could be an issue with the spinning.....lay off the skinny pedal i guess...

chek the inflation of the tires, over inflation will cause it to slip and hydroplane real easy.

410-
got them at 33. Should have posted that too.

Too high?

thanks,
jd

I wouldnt use 4x4 auto if it were me, I would say with less throttle you should be fine. explorers dont have bunches of power so if you are spinning you should probably slow it down some. but in the odd case that you really arent being very hard on it at all IE:less than 1/4 throttle, then maybe 4x4 auto would help your problem, i just hate the clunking into 4x4 when the tires start spining.

what size tires? 33 psi should not be too high but it depends on the tire and wheel size.

When you say it spins, like when you turn a corner on wet roads and give it gas the inside tire out back spins?
Its likely your limited slip working a bit, when you take a sharp turn in an suv the weight is on the outside wheels and the inside wheel has less resistance so all the power is sent to it. It gets exaggerated when you have huge tires and lots of power, or your limited slip rear axle is worn out.

we had michelins on my wifes QX4, it slipped in the rain too. we now have goodyear radials on it and it works great.

I run dunlops on my EX and they are great in rain and sun, we don't get much snow in the Tennessee Valley (east tennessee between the smoky mountains and the cumberland platueau) so I haven't tried them in slushy stuff.

David

Back