Raining in my car. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Raining in my car.

A bit about me: I had a 00 Nissan Xterra, broke the front end stuff while driving on highway hitting a HUGE New York City pothole. Paid $2,000 to a MECHANIC to fix it and 2 weeks later my transmission went. NEVER AGAIN HAVE I PAID A MECHANIC! We got Fords now since they are easy to repair. Here is my issue:
My girlfriend's car (02 Ford Explorer - Eddie Bauer V8) has a leak on the front dome light and part of driver's side visor when it rains. Naturally, I took it in to a window guy since I thought it had something to do with the sunroof. He said $250 dollars to clear the four drain pipes located at my sunroof. Of course I said no, I will do it myself. I took the car apart. Interior of course. Started with the dome light, both visors, rubber gaskets around the doors and frame plastic things. I was able to put my hand in and pull the tubes connected to the four holes on the sunroof and I blew compressed air into them . I was also able to manually blow air with my mouth to see if there is any pressure while I blow. Nothing. I found nothing wrong with any of the damn tubes. So I waited for rain. It's raining today and it is still leaking. I just read another post of a guy who had rust on his windshield and how he fixed his problem. Taking windshield off, sanding, sandblasting, reshaping the windshield frame with body filler and fiberglass etc. Lot of work. Four days that I don't have. I found a small rust spot right in the middle of where the top of the windshield meets the frame of the car. My question I guess is how can I fix it without removing the windshield? I am a girl but am very handy. Don't know the actual names of things but will figure it out. Thanks, all responses appreciated. P.S. I am a superintendent of a NYC building and do ALL of the repairs so please don't try and tell me to get a man to do this for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

please don't try and tell me to get a man to do this for me.

LOL free! I don't think I've ever seen a response like that on this site, there are a few ladies over here, so don't worry about that

Welcome to the forum!

LOL free! I don't think I've ever seen a response like that on this site, there are a few ladies over here, so don't worry about that

Welcome to the forum!

i think the op is a man.

back on subject.

is the vehicle parked on incline / declined, etc.

a sun roof will normally leak.

now the fun part. with the car in 1 piece, everything together, go fill up 2 cups of water, open the sun roof. on the front right/left side are 2 drains, now, pour the water in that corner, but dont overflow the passage, does it drain quickly or slow?

run a cup through the right and left drains.

The only correct way is to pull the windshield. First make sure that is were the leak is from most times it is the sun roof. If you got the head liner down you should be able to see an area of the leak look at top side of head liner look for water paths (Stains) this will give you a direction. Most times its coming over the sunroof tray .But first you need to see where the problem is. A good way of tracing a leak is by covering the area with baby powder the paths will be much clearer. Good luck

I am a novice to body work. That being said, I have one suggestion, before you pull the windshield, if you haven't already done so since November of last year. What if you were to put some clear silicone caulk over the rusted area by the windshield, as a temporary measure, to see if that stops the leak when it rains. If it does, you can opt to do the more permanent and correct repair.

Back