• Register Today It's free!

Ram-Air Hood!!!!

PunkChild

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
In the May 2001 issue of Truckin' they feature a 2001 Sport-Trac with a functional ram-air hood made by pro glass. It looks like the old Cobra-Jet intakes. I checked the website but they said nothing about the hood, I also sent them an e-mail asking about it and any possible explorer applications. Anyone know anything more on this????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't heard of it but that would be sweet!

Dumb question...

How does a functional ram air setup keep water (as in rain) out of the intake?

there should be a perfectly easy explenation to this. There are some cars out there with a factory ram air intake installed and I'm sure they don't have to worry about this problem (water).

Let's hope the do com-up with something like that. I even thought about it again today.

works,

Home-made Ram Air.

I know that Lund makes a set of "hood scoops" that are universal. It would be a bit of work, but I don't see why you couldn't use on of those on the right side of the hood and cut a hole in the sheet metal so that it funnels the air straight to your air filter. Kinda half-a$$ed, but I think it should work. I'll have to wait since I don't think my wife would appreciate me cutting into a perfectly good hood, especially when it's still under warranty!

see? once you do that it's not RamAir anymore. Like you said, Half as**d.

lol

RamAir, cut a hole in the middle just in front of the intake, attach KKM filter onto the intake and voila!!!!!!. water problem, oh yeah forgot about that......

I got an email back from pro glass saying that they are not going to be marketing anything for regular explorers but they are going to make a ram air kit for an F-150.

probably because F-150 has a bit more room under the hood to craft something fancy.

too bad...... back to the drawing boards,

no more water prob

On the kkm or any induction kit that uses a tube, you could try to adapt the new AEM bypass valve that keeps water from entering the intake. its made for imports but its basically just a valve. I saw it in a magazine. Some car TV show did a test on it. They used an acura nsx and fully submerged a k&n filter in water, and viola absolutely no water reached the intake. The valve opens up when the filter cant suck any air, and stays shut shen there is normal airflow. A really cool design. say if you wanted to take air from a low spot like the air dam etc., you wouldn't have to worry about water going into the engine!

here is the address for info: Dead Link Removed

just trying to help :)

but here's the good one once again,,,,,,, Ram Air just like the name suggests rams air straight into the intake. Routing pipes and ducts from the air dam would not be Ram Air anymore.

Ram Air

Back in the sixtys and today "RAMAIR" basicly means that the air would come from someplace other than from under the hood of the car/truck. The forced air from out side tends to be cooler than air temps in thus more power!

There is many diff. styels of ram air. Mustangs, Mopar...
A 426 wedge HEMI had ducts from the sides of the hood. A Chevelle had it closer to the front windshield along with the camero.

They must have the Ducts and Pipes now with EFI. they had to make up the tork diff. with longer tubes.

I got an Idea

Speaking of Ram-Air hoods, Why not make one, Andy's Auto Sport sells a SS style hood scoop that could easly be molded into your existing hood. Want a functional Ram-Air just cut a hole in the hood and do so fancy duct work over to the intake. Just a thought, I'm thinking of getting the scoop just for cosmetics and possibly try a Ram-Air setup down the road.

Here is a pics of the scoop just sitting on top of a hood.
7320_05.jpg

I dunno, I'm sure if you put more time into it, that scoop might look pretty good. I just wouldnt slap double stick tape on it and start driving around though. I really like the look the new 4runners have with their hood scoops. I think to make it look really good, you might have to just suck it up and go with a whole new custom hood. who knows... just my .02... Trolls hood looks amazing. Custom would be the way to go. The rest just seem cheesy..

jwild4x4, I agree a 100%. Those scoops that are attached with the 3m tape just look lame. I called Andy's Auto Sport and asked about this hood. They said it is all hand laid fiber glass and is designed to be molded into the hood. Which means cut the hood, bondo/fiber glass the scoop into place, then sand and prep the new "scooped hood" for paint. From what I read of troll's post about how he got his hood. This is the same proccess he used to create his hood execpt troll bought the entire hood from a mustang and cut out the scoops to make his. Either way it is a totaly custom job. If you like the way the 4runner hoods look you could do what troll did and buy the whole hood or you could buy just the scoop from JC Whitney for a quarter of the price. Like you just my .02.

By the way if anybody is interested in the "How to proccess" this site Dead Link Removed has a great walk through with step by step pictures.

I recently purchased a tunneled ram air hood from Amerihood for my '01 Sporttrac which routes the air directly to the location of the factory air box. I'm thinking any CAI with heat shield should work fine, but I was wondering if any more experienced users had any input.

In the May 2001 issue of Truckin' they feature a 2001 Sport-Trac with a functional ram-air hood made by pro glass. It looks like the old Cobra-Jet intakes. I checked the website but they said nothing about the hood, I also sent them an e-mail asking about it and any possible explorer applications. Anyone know anything more on this????
As an owner of many GM ram air cars there's a cable on the door you use like a CHOAK cable to seal the scoop if it's not vacuumed operated . My gto was cable my Buick gsx was vacuumed like a mustang look up ram air mustang you will see a flapper door you can allway put a shaker and be the first sport track with a loud mouth shaker figure around $800. New from year one

Back