Rancho front shocks

Digger196

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Winston-Salem, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Cherokee
Alright so today i took the X in today to get the new front Rancho shocks (RS5229, the ones the Rancho guy said to order on the phone) and went to cheak on the X and found out that they tell me that the shocks are smaller than the stock shocks! GREAT! so tomorrow they have to take the ones on there and replace that with the stock shocks. then i have to return them and get Rancho 9000's.

Does anyone know the model # for the front Rancho 9000 shocks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rancho's web-site does list the RS5229 as the correct front shocks for a '95-'01 4x4 Explorer. In any event Rancho lists the RS99229 as the front RS9000s and RS99185 for the rear.

Found them at Dead Link Removed

thanks a ton!

got to return the 5000's and get the 9000's

keep us informed on what happends

and do you know if the 9000s would fit on a 98 sport4x4...
thanks

just cheaked, yes it will fit.

just fyi, its CHECK, not CHEAK

does that bother you that i have a spelling problem? if it isn't related to the subject matter why are you posting here!

ok i need the right front shock that will fit with a 2" TT in the front. the 5000's nor the 9000X's will work.

doesn't matter what company i just need one and havn't found one yet.

RS9128 - 14" fully compressed, 20 5/8 full length

I think those are the ones I'm running in the front.

I also found these front shocks specs in another thread:

9229(for stock height) 13.625 compressed, 18.0 extended, 4.375 total travel. For the 9128: 12.75 compressed, 20.5 extended, 7.75 total travel. So to me it looks like the 9128 would work just fine for either stock height or lifted.

thanks. i searched but with 72 pages with front shocks was a little overwelming.

Dave,
I found this chart for Rancho Lengths. If you are interested in the RS9000Xs, you can then use this Dead Link Removed Just thought you may be able to use them.

Robb

i searched and searched on the rancho site but never thought if getting shocks made to fit a jeep would fit my X

well i'm going to get these rancho's in if they don;t want to or not! i just got some shock extenders that are about 1.5" extra lenth so i hope they'll fit now! here's a pic of them:

Attachments

• dcp_0012.jpg
    dcp_0012.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 771

Digger, in reference to your PM, those will be fine. No need for shock extenders on the front.

the pic above has the shock extender on it. so are you saying they will not be needed?

Originally posted by Alec
RS9128 - 14" fully compressed, 20 5/8 full length

I think those are the ones I'm running in the front.

Alec,

Those are the ones I was running before (the exact ones :D). It is not very wise to run them on a 4x4. Yes I did do it for a while and loved them, but they interfere with the Outer CV boot and can and will tear it if you don't relocate that portion of it. Which can be doen but then has its own problems. My recomendation if you need a longer shock is to buy the stock length shock and weld an extension into the post, or have someone do it. It is not like you have gained anymore front travel than stock, it is still the same IFS. Good Luck

I'm a little confused... is the botom line that the 5000's will not fit a 2nd Gen X with a 2" lift? If that is the case, what would be a good alternative if im not interested in an adjustable shock?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

THE 5000's WILL NOT FIT IF YOU DID THE TT IN THE FRONT.

i just got the 9000X's put in the front and they fit! it turned out that i didn't need the shock extender but i had them if they were needed.

the 9000X's have a bout 3-4" of travel unlike the stock shock that had 0" left to travel.

Back