Rancho front shocks | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rancho front shocks

So 9000s in the front and 5000s in the rear? Sounds good!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 9000s and the 5000s are the same length unless you are using different part numbers. The difference is the adjustability of the 9000.

Now maybe I am wrong here, but I don't see why Rancho would make two different length shocks for the explorer in stock form.

I tend to agree, however David had some problems with the 5000s...

i put the 5000's in and they didn't even reach the A-arm when i screwed the top in and that was at full extension.

the 9000x's where so long! i even bought the shock extender so that they would fit b/c i didn't think they would but i didn't even need them! and i got lots of upward and downward movement.

taxxman2k- you are right according to there site. that's why i bought the extenders in the first place. also the 9000x's are heavier and looked to be more strong. the shaft was thicker and stuff.

i'll tell ya'll how they perform on the first outing and after they get worked in from the speed bumps and all. tonight there where quite ruff b/c no pressure had built up in them but they'll get better.

Originally posted by Digger196
THE 5000's WILL NOT FIT IF YOU DID THE TT IN THE FRONT.

I have 5000s in the front and they fit fine. I did the TT too. They don't rub on anything. I ordered mine from Hot Rod Off-road and the guy said he knew exactly what I needed with the 1.5" Tortion Twist.

The front ones are part# 5229 and the rear are part# 5185...

I think we are comparing apples and oranges here. The 9000s and 5000s you had where probably different model numbers (besides the 9 and 5). Cause they should be identical on the outside.

i also have the 5000's in the front w/o any problems with the TT of about 1.5". Are the 9000's stouter than the 5000's (dumb Question they probably are) are they physically larger?

Originally posted by davesexplorer2
i also have the 5000's in the front w/o any problems with the TT of about 1.5". Are the 9000's stouter than the 5000's (dumb Question they probably are) are they physically larger?

Don't think so, just adjustable

hummmm well mine didn't and i had to do the TT to a little more than 2"

Digger - I think you are overlooking the fact that the limiting factor in downward travel on your stock suspension is the shock. When my suspension was stock and I removed the shock the control arm would drop another couple of inches. Something has to be the limit. If it isn't the shocks, then it will be the ball joints. The fact that your RS 5000s didn't reach the bottom control arm when it was full extended doesn't surprise me. Your stock shocks shouldn't have either. It isn't because your control arm goes down any further with the TT because it doesn't. If the 9000s reached with your control arm at the bottom limits then the 9000s are longer than stock. That could be a good thing as long as they still compress as short as stock. If not then your shocks bottoming out on compression will be your upper limit. Yyour lower limits will now be your ball joints or possibly CV joints if your shocks still have some travel when your suspension stops going down.

Alright Robert. i understand now. thanks for explaning.

Hey guys, i just bought the 9000X and im planning on installing them today. 1 question though...

Why dont the arms push outwards? I am able to pull the arms in and out, and when i turn the dial on the harder setting it deffinetally gets harder, but shouldnt the arms push outward on their own? Is there something i have to do to activate the spring or are they supposed to be like that?

If you can email me at sk1er18@aol.com that would be great....

im at school right now and going straight to the shop after my last class at 6 to put them on.. so it'd be nice to know by then.

Thanks
Matt

BTW: i dont have the in dash remote yet... what setting should i put the shocks on? i like a rougher ride... i was thinking 6 or 7?

They don't push out like the cheaper shocks do. Don't know hwy, guess it gives you better absorbtion both up and down.

Most shocks don't push down by themselves... Only gas charged shocks or air shocks do.

The shocks job isn't to push the vehicle up... the job of a shock is to dampen the osolation of the suspension and it doesn't need to push down to do it..

~Mark

Thanks guys,
I put the shocks on last night along with leaf packs off a 2001 4 door..... awesome ride. I hit a few of those large bumps in the road that causes most cars to bounce a few time... didnt bounce at all!! and on top of that i took a curve pretty quick and found out my car now corners also? I didnt sway at all- first time my trucks been able to do that!

All in all, so far i love the shocks- though its my first day with them, i doubt they'll loosen up much.

Thanks for your replies.

what setting are you running them at?

Im running them on 9.... its deffinetally a stick ride, especially since i just have a 98 sport so my trucks not exactly heavy (also considering the 4 door leaf packs i just installed also), when i get the money ill buy the control module and then play with the settings a bit. Till then though im just leaving them where they're at.

Hey guys, can you give me hand?

I purchased the rs5000's from tellico last week for the front of my 98 sport 4x4, after reading this thread i got a little nervous. I called tellico for the part # that they are sending me and it is # 5233. Can anyone tell me if these shocks will fit the front or the rear of my truck. Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont knw off-hand about that part # because those are the RS5000.... however the shocks look totally different, so when they arrive you wont have a hard time telling if they sent you the wrong ones. Take a look under-neath and you'll know what i mean.

Back