• Register Today It's free!

Range sensor

ZBlackBeast

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer/SHO
So, I've been reading there is a chance that my range sensor may be the issue to my tranny problem. I've been lbusy with work and other project as well as working at the North East SHO Shop, SO I haven't quite had the time to work on the Ex.

Now, what are the correct readings I should be getting from this sensor? ALSO, where the HELL do I find one to replace it? I look up range sensor and shift sensor and all I can find is the internal control solenoid...

Thanks fo da help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure what the actual readings should be, but my haynes manual says(just posting in case you are not familar with what the haynes manual says).....

There should be continuity between terminals 1 and 4 in park or neutral..

Should be continuity between terminals 5 and 8 in neutral..

Should be continuity between terminals 2 and 3 in reverse.

If one or more of these test fail, replace the TR sensor

I hope someone chimes in w/the correct readings as well (if there are any, sure there has to be) as im wondering to because the TR sensor might be one of the causes of my tc lockup problems..

My check engine light flashes. My battery keeps dieing because I dont drive it because, well, it wont go into any gear... Is there a way to check codes like on the EEC-IV in the gen I/II Taurus?

I will check the continuity Tuesday morning.

ALSO, Im assuming the part I'm looking for is the "manual lever position switch". Why is the 97+ half the price of the 95-96? lol

Only way to read codes is with a scanner and not all OBD2 scanners that read engine codes, can read manufacture specific transmission codes. A 97 has a 5R55E transmission, which is a 5 speed, yours is a 4 speed.
There are other things that can also cause a no drive condition.
You can buy a used DTR sensor for around 20 bucks, do a google search.

they still used the 4r on the ohv in 97 up.. no??

what are these "other things"? besides like worn bands? pump is good btw

Sorry you didn't say that it was a OHV. or if it was 4X4, or if reverse works? Pump, valve body, valve body gasket, Bad torque converter, shift linkage, Bad Transfer Case, broken wires, bad PCM,

Sorry. Ha, I've been posting on the SHO forums lately and all my cars are in my sig.. I forget..

ill tear into it and figure it out

If you end up needing a diagram of which terminal is which to test for continuity just let me know. Ill upload a pic from my haynes manual.

Tested continuity, and all checked out well!! :(

At work (Advance auto) a guy came in asking about his ex. i told him im an explorer guy and he might sell it because its giving him rear end trouble 9he got rear ended) soo i might score a 96 OHV parts truck for 300 bux or less!! keeping myu fingers crossed!

Back