• Register Today It's free!

Ranger bolt ons?

STSJayDub

Reaction score
City, State
South Side Houston Texas but Reppin BMT
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Hello everyone this is dropped kamelion. my new screen name cause i cant remember my old password and ive changed my email since then. But anyways, 2 questions: Will a 98 ranger cowl hood fit on my 99 explorer? Also, Ive seen a 99 explorer with a big moth bumper cover off a 2002 ranger. Can i just buy the bumper and put it on or would it require more work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know about the hood, but I have seen the bumper cover over an X bumper and it doesn't fit correctly. I believe you can swap to a Ranger bumper though.

mrboyle said:
Don't know about the hood, but I have seen the bumper cover over an X bumper and it doesn't fit correctly. I believe you can swap to a Ranger bumper though.

It will fit with minor trimming on the sides of the stock X bumper. It will actually stretch right over the X bumper, but will wrinkle up some in the middle, hence you should shave the sides down.

alright so just cut a couple inches off each side and it should be alright?

damn. the ranger hood i want is not made for explorers. and i dont like cowl inductions or scoops. i want one that looks like your mustang hood scoop, but i want it to be functional, not just for looks.

STSJayDub said:
alright so just cut a couple inches off each side and it should be alright?

Essentially, yes. Work it piece by piece, slowly, and don't force it.

ive seen a 99 with like a 83 mustang hood bolted on that looks similar to the first hood scoop on the EE page.....is this just a bolt on or will it require alot of mods?

Is the '83 Mustang hood a direct bolt-on? Or the EE one?

it was a real cowl hood, but i dont know. He lifted it and you could see from the underside. he said it was off an 83 GT but i dont know he could have just been trying to make sure he tha only one with it LOL

A web site called www.extremedimensions.com has a very cool body kit for our X. I would get one but the price is a little steep for me.

To make the scoop functional, do you mean having the scoop be the air intake for the engine? If so then that would be quite a mod, (especially with a center mount scoop like on an 83 Mustang) you would have to fab a filter and then make a custom upper intake manifold, relocate the TB and mass air. Within the limitations of space under the hood, I don't know how possible that is.

Rhett Browning said:
To make the scoop functional, do you mean having the scoop be the air intake for the engine? If so then that would be quite a mod, (especially with a center mount scoop like on an 83 Mustang) you would have to fab a filter and then make a custom upper intake manifold, relocate the TB and mass air. Within the limitations of space under the hood, I don't know how possible that is.

Unless you got a Body Lift! ;)

thats a tight body kit. I might get it if it will fit 20s with a 3" drop. But i dont know.

And By funtional, I mean the scoop wasnt just "for looks" and attached with double sided tape. When he lifted the hood, you could see thru the holes in the scoop and see the other side of the hood. It was a part of the hood, not something taped on for looks.

When he lifted the hood, was there a matching hole on the top of his intake manifold?

no it was just the hood...guess it was just for looks...i still dont want one connected with 3M tape...

That body kit makes us look extremely bad. Someone had already bought it, painted, on bags with 20s, he's on cardomain somewhere now. Explorer is a truck, not a ricer. Sad part, it doesn't even look right bagged at all. Why it costs so much? Supply and demand, no one wants it; catch the flow? =)

ok i hate this (before I say this im not trying to offend draft so no one call me a ####### or none of that stuff).....PUTTING BODY KITS ON CARS IS NOT RICING THEM. ricing a car is when you have a honda or something like that, and think just because it has the body kit and some stickers its faster than a average honda or whatever (which is bull......id swang a Vette). Body Kits make cars look cool as hell and so does slamming them. Yall have to realize people have different taste than yall. Personally, I would never in my life EVER lift a truck.I think lifted trucks are the ugliest things on the earth. I dont even think some of them should be legal. Lifted less than 10" is OK if you know how to drive, but not just any idiot should be able to get a big truck and make it so big they cant even see cars in front of them. Especially if they just get it for cool factor (ok.....you pay all that money to make it a offroad vehicle.....then refuse to drive it anywhewre but paved streets....). But climing off my soapbox, what is up with people oh your sposed to lift trucks and drop cars? Dont drop trucks. I hate that when I hear it. I guess im just different. Im getting the truck on 21s, lowered 3 inches with X-Spec suspension, and when i get my uncles oldsmobile, im jacking it up 3-4 inches and throwin some 24 spinners on it (3rd Coast/Dirty South Style), along with 3 15s. And i know alot more people who want to slam a truck then lift it. Thats why it costs so much. When more people have a DEMAND for it, the SUPPLY goes down, and the price costs MORE. Thats how supply and demand works =P

(....please dont anyone take offense to this post. i am not an ass who trys to tell people their opinions are wrong or something or force mine on them, i just say what i feel. if you disagree, dont flame me becauze i havnt flamed anyone)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back