• Register Today It's free!

Ranger OEM CD player wiring

albertaranger

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger
Hi all I have a 2001 Ranger Edge. I am trying to install an overhead console out of an Ex, but I have extra wires coming out of my Rangers CD player that I cannot (and have feverishly tried to) identify.

I have: (first colour is the solid, second is the stripe)

Yellow/Black
Lt Green/violet
black/Lt green
Grey/Lt blue
Tan/Yellow
Orange/Lt green
Lt Blue/White
Black/Lt Green
Green/Orange
White/Green
Black/pink
orange/red
red/black
black
Lt blue/red

Can someone identify these please! I have wires that are missing off of some diagrams and I and missing some that are on others.

I am trying to get the overhead console illumination to work. The illumination wire coming out of the overhead console is red/black and one of the wires coming out of the CD player is also red/black and yet I am supposed to connect to the lt blue/red.....??????:confused:

2001 Ford Ranger:

Radio 12V lt. green/purple + radio
Radio Ground black - radio
Radio Ignition yellow/black + radio
Radio Illumination lt. blue/red(dimmer) + radio
Left Front Speaker (+/-) org/lt grn-lt blu/wh radio
Right Front Speaker (+/-) wht/lt grn - grn/org radio
Left Rear Speaker (+/-) gry/lt blu - tan/yel radio
Right Rear Speaker (+/-) org/red - brn/pnk radio

By illumination do you mean reading lights? If so then if you want them to come on when the door is opened than you need to hook them up to the dome light.

By illumination do you mean reading lights? If so then if you want them to come on when the door is opened than you need to hook them up to the dome light.

No I have those hooked up appropriately. There is green lettering that my console has. This is the same illumination as the display for the CD player. So I want the both of them to dim the same as I dim my guages/CD player illumination.

I am trying to figure out if i have to connect to the blue and red or the red and black. I am seriously interested why I have not been able to find the correct schematic for my OEM Ranger CD player :feedback:

No I have those hooked up appropriately. There is green lettering that my console has. This is the same illumination as the display for the CD player. So I want the both of them to dim the same as I dim my guages/CD player illumination.

I am trying to figure out if i have to connect to the blue and red or the red and black. I am seriously interested why I have not been able to find the correct schematic for my OEM Ranger CD player :feedback:

You mean a correct schematic like the one I gave you? :scratch:

And yes, you should put it on the Illumination/dimmer wire, blue/red. If that doesn't work than you probably need to hook it directly up to the dimmer wire on the back of the dimmer itself. Aftermarket wires are never the same as factory wire colors, that's why they aren't matching up. Every company uses different colors.

Back