Ranger rear shocks vs explorer rear shocks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger rear shocks vs explorer rear shocks

Grifter

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 EB 4dr 4x4
I know from Rancho part numbers, the Rangers (83-93 vintage) and 1st gen Ex's use different rear shocks, but is there any chance i could use Ranger rear shocks on teh back of my Ex? i have a set of brand new RS5000's for the Ranger, and i know the fronts are the same, so i will use those, but are the rears even close to the same? they dont mount to the axle and chassis the same way, but i dont have any explorer shocks to comare the ranger's too..
anyone know?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt it. The explorer is spring under and the Ranger is spring over. The Ranger also has the one shock in front one shock behind setup wheras the Ex both are in the rear.

Lots of things are possible with mounting shocks, but as far as a direct bolt in replacement, I dont think so. They are different lengths all together as well.

yeah, thats what i thought. oh well, atleast i can use the fronts.

410, are you the same 410fortune from fordranger.com a few years ago when Pat Kunz was still the 2.9 forum mod? I was over there alot..

Yes sirreee this is the name that was given to me! Oh man good ol days of FR.com and Kunz corner. They used to tell me "you cant lift a Bronco II, and the 2.9L cannot be modded" hahaha wow we have come a long way!

I have been on many Ranger forums over the years, this one is home. I also really like the family over at Dezertrangers and have gotten ALOT of help from these sites as well:

TRS, ORR, RPS, and a few others.

Since my 2.9L I went:
93 OPHV 4.0L with Mazda 5 speed
Then to rebuilt A4ld
then another 93 OHV 4.0L
Then another a4ld
then finally GT-40 5.0L and 4r70w

Sometimes I miss that old 2.9L, hahaha okay not really.
same BII though!
hahaha

good to see you here.

Yeah, for the lack luster motor that it was, i did like the 2.9.. I still have that truck too :) in the process of replacing all the rear hard brake lines on it. it sat one summer, and they rusted right out.
since that one, i bought a 84 2.8 4x4 w/ 4" skyjacker lift, busted that truck all up.
picked up a cheap rusty B2, 2.9 4x4, drove that for a winter, it had permanent air conditioning, a giant rust hole in the door..
now i have the Ex to drag the snowmobile around and haul the dog

i see you have alot of rigs with the 4r70w? what made you choose that? the electronic controls? i have the 4r in my Mark VIII, its a nice tranny when you have the SCT Racer package, you can control everything..

towing and big tires, also smooth shifts.
It just happens to be the trans Ford used behind the 5.0L in the explorer.

IMO the GT-40 5.0L and 4r70w are the ultimate setup for a Ranger based truck.
So thats what I am using! hahaha

I always liked the power of the 4.0L, but the auto trannies behind it are not up to par.

Luck has alot to do with it as well. I needed a new trans and my friend had a 5.0L drivetrain "extra" so I said screw it and did the conversion. Then I inherited my brothers explorer 5.0L (the one he bought new when I got his old BII) so it just kinda worked out this way.

Back