• Register Today It's free!

Ranger Tire Balance Problems

bonzo

Reaction score
City, State
knoxville, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ranger
I'm new here. Like to have feedback. My 99 Ranger Supercab has had tire balance problems since new. New Michelins solve the problem, but I must continually rebalance. Anyone with similar experience???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how often do you rotate/balance? Are you using wheel weights, stick-ons, or Equal (or similar)? What kind of dirt does your truck see? If you are getting mud packed into the wheels, that will cause a balance issue. Let me know more information then I'm sure we can figure out what's the problem.

-Drew

EDIT: Welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

Ranger tire balance problem

Drew, thanks for the response and the welcome. This is a 99 Rangersupercab city truck--never off pavement. The experts at Ford, and several reputable tire shops have checked out the entire drivetrain, wheels and tires. With new tires, and new balance everything is reasonably good; however, after 25-30k tire wear the shaking seat and steering is just not acceptable. Tires are rebalanced and rotated every 5k. Surely, I'm not the only Ranger with this problem. I seem to have a mysterious, unsolvable problem. I love the truck and would replace it with a new one, but the trade in value is nil, and I am afraid I might end up with the same problem. Just trying to search the millions of ranger owners for a similar experience.

There is an additive (granuals) that can be put into tires through the valve stem that continually balances a tire as it wears. Guys with huge offroad tires use it. That might help in your case. I am trying to think of the name. There are threads here about it, if I can remember what to search for.

Anyone know the name?

i thought it was mentioned above as Equal

at the tire shop that i currently work at we suggest rotating and balancing all 4 tires every 6000 to 7500 miles, and we have the new Tire protection plan where you pay an additional amount on your tire installation where the balance and rotate plus repairs are all free for the life of the tire.

a lot of shops run this now and is a great deal and would be a good way to keep your tires in check.

Yeah it is. Duh! I read that and it never registered that he was talking about the same thing. OOPS!

Equal may cure your problem. Well, when you rebalance them does it go away? Have you taken it to the same shop? Sometimes the weights can loosen up and slide around on the rim if they don't use the right weights. They can sometimes be tricky. If they have checked your drivetrain and have found nothing wrong -- it can accually just be your tires. What kind of tires are you running? I had to balance some BFGoodrich tires (not A/Ts or M/Ts) and they were AWFUL! I couldn't imagine driving that thing all day. Anyway, hope you'll fix it!

-Drew

Hey, thanks to all for your feedback. My problem may be just in the tires. It seems to be hard to buy 4 round tires. I currently have 2 of 4 LTX MICHELINS that are now out of round. I rotate/balance every 5k.

Back