• Register Today It's free!

86 Ranger fuel tank?

Quadzilla-EFI

Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I've owned my 86 Ranger SuperCab 4x4 since it was new and I'm now trying to fix a problem that has basically existed since it was new. The original 2.9 finally blew up with 250K miles and I replaced it with a 4.0. The original fuel tank only held like 11 gallons and with the original engine that was just ok, nothing special, but now with the 4.0 I have to make way too many fueling stops while on a long trip.

Does anyone know of a replacement tank from a later year that has the HP EFI pump located in the tank so I can get rid of the stock twin pumps? And that is larger than the original 11 gallon one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 89 Ranger (since sold) had a 17 gal tank. It was the long bed model. I don't know if you could fit it under your truck. It was EFI with the fuel pump inside the tank.

JC Whitney used to list fuel tank replacements that were larger than stock, so you might want to check that out.

You could swap a Bronco II gas tank in. It isn't bolt in but at 23 gallons it will improve your range for sure.

so rare rangers in the 80's had duel tanks. one was mid ship and the second was where the spare went. The 2nd tank was about 10 gal.

I have the original gas tank that came on my 89 STX Super Cab. I don't know if it would work on an 86 but I it would seem so. It still has the thin skid plate that came on the STX and the straps that hold everything. I don't know if you would want to pay the shipping. It was nearly new when I took it off. I think it holds around 17 gallons.

Back