RAP module replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RAP module replacement

RAP modules - door lock issues - Etc.

Hello all,
My daughter's 2002 Sport Trac has been giving me fits! One evening she proceeds to tell me that the remote power door locks are not functioning, sure enough they are not and the fuse is blown... Sounds easy right? Replace the fuse blows immediately. The next day at school she calls to tell me that she can't even open the door with the key on the exterior doors! She and her friends proceed to call the AAA to have them get in the vehicle. As luck would have it the young lady from the AAA got the key to work on the passenger side. That evening I decide to look into the issue. Just like a bunch of the post stated the lock cylinders do need to be lubricated periodically! After much groaning, complaining and a cuss word or two we determined that the RAP (Which is mounted behind the passenger side air bag was faulty!) I have a sneaking suspicion that the frozen/stuck key cylinders are the culprit burning up the RAP! Called my local Ford dealer and the good guy price for the RAP module is $270. I located one on the internet and ordered it only to find that the used unit also had a defect. It would lock the doors but only open the driver door lock on the first remote click; the second click that is supposed to unlock the three other doors is dead! I am currently waiting for a NOS RAP module using the Ford part # listed in the original post at the beginning of this thread! Upon visualization I am pretty sure that these RAP modules are the same, the only difference is the mounting brackets. I will use the box that came out of the Sport Trac and put the guts in of the new unit. I will post the results of my hunch later this week. Just wanted to save you guys a ton of stress, when it comes to the crazy door locks and modules. I would recommend that you all shoot some lubricant in your door lock cylinders so you don’t go through the nightmare that I have had… I am new to the site and love the information that I have already picked up!
Blkbart
:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might want to dig up a service manual and see what...if any...kind of programming is required when you switch that module. All aren't plug n play by a long shot any longer.

Help!

Went to the local Ford dealer and he sold me a new RAP module based upon the VIN#. I can't seem to get the outside keypad to work? I have tried entering the new numbers as listed upon the box and the registration card. I tried entering the code hitting the 1/2 button and re-entering the new code to no avail? Any advice?
Thanks,
Bart

where can i find key pad code

I pulled the glove box on my 08 mountaineer and could not see a module. Started to pull the dash panel and decided to check if I am looking in the right place

I pulled the glove box on my 08 mountaineer and could not see a module. Started to pull the dash panel and decided to check if I am looking in the right place

You are in the wrong forum. This is for 95-01 Explorers.

Plus, the RAP is only behind the glove box in the Sports. In the four-doors, it's behind the trim, driver's side of cargo compartment.

Sorry to bring up this thread but i have a 1997 ford explorer xlt 4 door and was wondering if i could use a rap module from a 1998 explorer and use the newer remote would it be possible? And problems? Please and thank you for answering.

I'm trying to find the security code for my 07 E. Bauer explorer. Where can this be found?

if you're talking about the key pad code, it's on the sticker on the RAP module. in the picture above, its the big sticker with the 5 digit number - 13731

oh, I see you're asking about a 2007 model... sorry, no idea.

Sorry to bring up this thread but i have a 1997 ford explorer xlt 4 door and was wondering if i could use a rap module from a 1998 explorer and use the newer remote would it be possible? And problems? Please and thank you for answering.
Any one?

Hello I am new in this forum. I was reading carefully the different problems with remote entry and I need your help. My problem is that remote key stopped working. Keypad works perfectly, I mean, no problem locking and unlocking doors with keypad. Just remote key does not work. I have 1998 Explorer SOHC, RAP module without external antenna. Remote key battery changed and nothing. Is it possible to have a broken wire? or the RAP module has to be replaced? Or may be the remote key stopped working?.

Hello I am new in this forum. I was reading carefully the different problems with remote entry and I need your help. My problem is that remote key stopped working. Keypad works perfectly, I mean, no problem locking and unlocking doors with keypad. Just remote key does not work. I have 1998 Explorer SOHC, RAP module without external antenna. Remote key battery changed and nothing. Is it possible to have a broken wire? or the RAP module has to be replaced? Or may be the remote key stopped working?.

If everything but the remote works - I would think that the remote has gone bad. Good luck.

If everything but the remote works - I would think that the remote has gone bad. Good luck.

Yes, I think so. Next step is to try with a new key fob. Turning 8 times the key from off to on position, doors lock and unlock, so I can enter programming mode but nothing happens when I press a butom of key fob. Next step is to tray with new key fob... Thank you bobflood!

Yes, I think so. Next step is to try with a new key fob. Turning 8 times the key from off to on position, doors lock and unlock, so I can enter programming mode but nothing happens when I press a butom of key fob. Next step is to tray with new key fob... Thank you bobflood!

Problem solved, remote key fob was the problem, the cristal for signal emision was changed and problem fixed (here remote is to expensive and difficult to get).

Hmm, happened upon this thread by accident. But it brings up a good point for the problems I am having.

Just recently bought a 97 xlt 5.0, found the module and the code works in the door pad. The driver side door lock switch will only unlock the doors, lock does not work. However the passenger side door lock switch works both lock and unlock. I just recently acquired a key fob from a friend, verified that it was the same as what originally came with the car. But, I cannot get the vehicle to enter the programming mode, I've tried all of the different ways that people have said how to do it, but none work. I've also checked the splice in the driver rear door sill and found a little bit of corrosion so I repaired it, with no change in the door lock.

I would really like to have the key fob work, so any help would be appreciated. Is there a way to troubleshoot the existing module? I also believe I have an external antenna, as there seems to be an antenna above the rear view mirror.

Re the door lock switch issue: If the doors lock from the pass side switch, but not the driver's side switch, most likely you have a broken wire in the driver's side door bundle. Very common issue in these trucks; I had the exact same issue and that is how I fixed it. Open the door as wide as you can, turn the 10MM capture bolt on the top of the wire connector until the bottom section comes loose, cut the wire tie and peel back the boot. Find the broken wire, splice in a new chunk of wire, pull the boot back up, use a new wire tie to hold it, bolt it back together. PITA if you have big hands like I do, but it is doable.

IF the premote rogramming methods you are using requires you to do something with the driver's side lock button, it not working may be what is preventing you from entering the programming mode. Just for grins, try using the pass side lock button instead.

Here is a great source for wiring diagrams - these might also be helpful:
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
Login ID: rrcc
Login PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

Good luck.

General RAP question. Hoping someone here might be able to help. This thread is fairly recent and has some good info, but I'm still stuck.

I'm making a keyless/keypad/power lock setup for my motorhome using Ford components. The first step in the process was to gather parts. That is done, got a pile of them. Second was to get the system up and running on my workbench. That is where I am. Where I'm stuck boils down to this. I have made a complete system work based on a '97 setup with a F7CF-15K602-AA RAP module. Everything works fine, keypad, remote, lock button. When I swap to a '98 setup, RAP P/N F87F-15K602-AA, all the RAP functions don't work. It won't go into programming mode, the keypad does nothing (doesn't even light up), and the fob does nothing. I put the module I'm playing with into my sister's '99 ZX2 (it uses the same module). It works fine. Programmed two fobs successfully. So I don't have a bad module. For giggles, I disconnected the wire for the data link, thought maybe the newer module needed to talk the GEM. Still worked with that undone, not it.

So, my question for the gang here. I've seen threads here where folks have swapped to the newer RAP module without issue (swapping to new fobs too of course). Anyone here done anything like I'm doing? Maybe adding keyless to a Ranger, or an older vehicle? I'm at a loss for what I'm missing. I have the wiring diagrams for '95 to '01 Explorers. Compared them endlessly. I'm finding nothing that should keep my '98 setup from working.

(Yes, I could use the '97 setup. But sure would be nice to have the newer fob. Opens up a lot of fob options. And I've read it works better too.)

I figured it out!

It was my bench "power supply"*, its output was too dirty. Hooked up a car battery and bingo, it works. New module is obviously more sensitive to the incoming power.

Project is back underway. Gotta find a flip key now!

* "power supply" is a old, maybe 40 years, Craftsman battery charger

I figured it out!

It was my bench "power supply"*, its output was too dirty. Hooked up a car battery and bingo, it works. New module is obviously more sensitive to the incoming power.

Project is back underway. Gotta find a flip key now!

* "power supply" is a old, maybe 40 years, Craftsman battery charger

Cool deal, so that may help with the question I was about to ask...

I have a 99 XLS 4.0l OHV 4dr 4x4, i have no key pad on the doors, but I assumed it has keyless entry, since it has a red "THEFT" light that constantly flashes on the dash while it is parked. But when I bought a new fob, and went to program it, nothing happens what-so-ever when I do the "8 times" power on.
So I was wondering do I possibly need a RAP? Or, if my Explorer didn't come with keyless entry, can I add it to it by adding a RAP setup?
Or would I just be better of getting a new aftermarket alarm/ remote start/ keyless entry setup?

Thanks for any assistance I can get.

Other more Explorer literate folks will have answer regarding adding a RAP. But I have a couple questions for you that may help. Don't want to assume things.

You do have power locks, right? (Could you even get an Explorer without them in '99?) They work, right?

And, did you look in the left rear fender (jack storage area) for the module? As pictured in the first post. It's probably not there since 8 key ons don't do anything, but easy too look.

(And the PATS system blinks the theft light. It's separate from the RAP.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Other more Explorer literate folks will have answer regarding adding a RAP. But I have a couple questions for you that may help. Don't want to assume things.

You do have power locks, right? (Could you even get an Explorer without them in '99?) They work, right?

And, did you look in the left rear fender (jack storage area) for the module? As pictured in the first post. It's probably not there since 8 key ons don't do anything, but easy too look.

(And the PATS system blinks the theft light. It's separate from the RAP.)

Yes sir, I do have power door locks, and yes they all work properly.
I do not however, see the RAP module in the left rear fender.

So, I take it that means my explorer didn't come with keyless entry? If that's the case, what will it take for me to add? And what all will I need besides a RAP module?

Thanks again for any help!

Back