Rattle - help! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattle - help!

my 2014 sport with 12,000 k on it has developed a maddening chirp/squeak coming from somewhere behind me, likely to the right. I've hit, shook everything inside i can to find it, removed and put back the spare tire and jack...nothing. its almost constantly chirping with every expansion joint or even moderately rough pavement. if you turn up the volume and watch this youtube video, you will hear it. i can't even drive on the highway anymore without the music loud enough to drown it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snP277334yE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased a 2014 Explorer XLT (Sterling Grey) back in December 2013 after being the original owner of a 2002 XLT (Mineral Grey) for 11 years. Love this new ride, but it recently developed a couple of odd pops and creaks. Thought I'd pass along my fixes that are working so far.

I had a popping noise in the rear liftgate. Turned out to be the right corner of the 3rd brake light housing that was touching the liftgate glass. I stuck a piece of rubber in between the 2 - and fixed.

More recently, I had the creaking noise in the drivers side B pillar when stopping and accelerating that has been described here. I traced it to the driver's door latch and wrapped a piece of electrical tape around the striker. Noise gone! Some grease on the latch might also work.

Dealer ordered a new head rest for 2nd row passenger seat. I hope this is it but I am skeptical.

Rattle is still around. It's NOT the headrest.

Check your rear mudflaps...

I had similar squeals and rattling noises coming from the passenger side in my 2011 Ex. If you DON'T have this issue you cannot imagine how maddening these sounds are as you drive. I found the source was the mudflaps in the rear wheel well was not properly secured. They are screwed into the wheel well but also there are two finger-like projections that insert into square holes in the underside of the body about 2" in front of the wheel wells. Somehow these two "fingers" had come out of the holes in the body and were squealing like nails on a chalkboard and tapping against the body over every bump and even as wind pushed against the mud flap at almost any speed. I reinserted them along with a small piece of rubber band I pushed in alongside with a small flat screwdriver to take up any open space in the holes -this more rigidly secured the mudflap in place; I realize this is not a long term solution but it works for now and if I hear it again I will know where to look. I suspect this happened during the winter due to slush/ice buildup or driving over a snowmound forcing the flap back toward the wheel. Look to see if your rear mudflaps are angled back into the wheel well at all; if so this is likely the issue and you'll need to get underneath and take a look if these two retaining fingers have pulled out of their mounting holes.

I had a rattle that came from the passenger side. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger door but it ended up being a guard/cover under the rear passenger side of the vehicle that was hanging down due to a missing fastener.

i found my squeak, but only after it got louder such that i could pin point where it was coming from. turns out one of the quick clips holding the plastic cover on the inside of the rear hatch had somehow released. one good tap in the right spot and its seated and squeak free again. it probably happened during a move when i had the thing packed with boxes, some up against the rear hatch.

..Seems like im going in for a check up some time this week, will post update afterwards

I'll look forward to reading your update, Airbornemaikai. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you need my assistance. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I had the rattle before and after I installed the mudflaps.

Back