• Register Today It's free!

Rear Passenger Door Rattles

jfij3165

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
I have a rattle in the rear passenger door "area" of my 2011 XLT. I can't seem to pinpoint the exact location. Has anyone had this problem? I drives me nuts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a rattle in the rear passenger door "area" of my 2011 XLT. I can't seem to pinpoint the exact location. Has anyone had this problem? I drives me nuts.
Welcome to the Forum :wavey:.
I don't know if there is anything more annoying than a squeak or rattle that you cannot isolate. Is it there only when driving or can you reproduce it at anytime? If it only occurs when driving have you tried getting another person to sit in back and listen for it? Does rolling the window complete down make any difference? I assume this is something that recently started.

Peter

Check you seatbelts sometimes they will knock up against the C pillar when not in use!

This occurs when I hit a bump or pothole in the road. Sounds like 2 pieces of metal hitting each other. Window position doesn't matter. It isn't the seatbelt hitting the pillar, I checked that.

This occurs when I hit a bump or pothole in the road. Sounds like 2 pieces of metal hitting each other. Window position doesn't matter. It isn't the seatbelt hitting the pillar, I checked that.
If indeed it is something loose in the door I would think that you would also be able to produce it by banging on it or when you close it. If not it might be something else. Has someone ridden back there and positively isolated it as being the door? Sounds can be very tricky to pin down sometimes.
Good luck.

Peter

Hi jfij3165,

Have you been to your dealership so they can track down the cause of the noise? You may want to bring your service tech along for a test drive so you can demonstrate the sound you're experiencing.

Crystal

I had the same issue and i found that it was not the back door it was the back seat that wasn't latching to the floor catch. Take the back seats and fold them up and breive and see what happens, not the thrid row the ones right behind you.

Try looking in front of the rear tire. There is a small piece of rubber there like a tiny mud guard in the wheel well. You have to look under the vehicle. It can come loose where it connects to the undercarriage. It's two posts that just friction fit into the holes. Drove me crazy on my Ltd for a week. Then I found it. All was quiet again.

Did you find the culprit!??

I did not find the culprit. It was not the mud guard you were talking about. I also took the back seat off and reattached in case that was it. I think it is coming from the door or C-pillar. Next stop: Dealership. Next stop after that: Trading it in. I can't live with that rattle much longer!

UPDATE: I have pinpointed the problem to be the coat hanger holder above the rear door. It was loose and caused the rattling of some metal parts behind it. I tightened it down and it seemed to fix the problem (for now). Thanks for all the suggestions to my problem.

UPDATE: I have pinpointed the problem to be the coat hanger holder above the rear door. It was loose and caused the rattling of some metal parts behind it. I tightened it down and it seemed to fix the problem (for now). Thanks for all the suggestions to my problem.
I have a rattle like this it sounds like it's coming from window seals 4th Time back to the dealership start to loose faith in the service techs so frustrating

I have a rattle like this it sounds like it's coming from window seals 4th Time back to the dealership start to loose faith in the service techs so frustrating
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Just to make sure that you are aware that this is the Forum for the 5th generation (2011-2017) Ford Explorer.

Peter

I'm going to bump and hijack this one in lieu of a new thread, it's close enough...

Lately when there's a load on the engine at idle and i've been driving a bit, there's a rattle from the rear hatch driving me nuts. I've isolated it to the glass or the door itself. It likes to rattle a bit over bumps as well, but I can live with that. I've adjusted the bumper/striker things a bit to see if I could balance it out, but no such luck.

The NVH really seems to transfer hard to the back of the car... I can even see my head rests wiggle around slightly. Any thoughts?

It's not the license plate is it?

nope, nice and tight. In addition, the noise goes away if I open the liftgate, and the frequency of the rattle changes if I beat on the glass.

Does the plastic panel just snap off? I'd like to pull it off for a look.

Back