Rattle in steering column. Any ideas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattle in steering column. Any ideas?

TheFox88

Reaction score
City, State
Flagstaff, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
Hey guys. I have noticed lately that there is increasing noise coming from my steering column. It is a low rattle noise that i can't seem to identify. I have looked over all the plastic pieces near the column and they are as loose as a 10+ year car should be, however they don't seem to be the cause of this noise.

Also, i have noticed that, occasionally, when i am turning, the horn will go off at random. This is annoying to say the least. Today i was turning on to a street with a green arrow and the horn just went off like i was pissed at someone. Unfortunatley, there was a cop that was sitting at the other side of the street i was turning off of, when this happened. He looked at me strange, but nothing else. This problem seems to happen more frequently when i am turning and i go over a bump mid-turn.

I was hoping that someone might have some insight on this. Hopefully i won't have to tear the steering column down. I apperciate anything you could tell me.

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like these two issues are related :)
remove the shrouding around the column and look for your rattle source, Likely something has come loose.

Its pretty basic and straight forward to repair anything in there once you get the shrouds off.

OK, when i get some time this weekend, i think i'll do that. Does anyone else have this problem?

well over the last 280K miles (88 BII) I have had all sorts of squeeks and rattles from in there. Esentially your Ex is the same as my truck. The support bolts have come loose, I had a squeek coming from the stator ring that connects the steering wheel buttons to the wiring harness (lubricate with dieelectric grease now once a year or so), I have had to replace the door open/key in chime wire and switch, I am on my 4th multi function switch ( the turn signal lever thingy) my headlights melted the factory wiring plug once and it came loose (highway at night, lights go off, nice), various rattles and issues. But never an issue with the horn :)

On my '92, there was a piece of metal that was, I believe, some kind of vibration dampener just inside the horn cover. This piece had come loose and was rattling around inside the steering wheel. Didn't ever cause the horn to sound, though. Like 410Fortune said, something's loose and you're going to have to pull cover's off until you find what's loose.

Back