Ray Lobato's Before and after | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ray Lobato's Before and after

Well, I guess I'll put up my before and after pictures since I just got it back. Actually my before picture has the 2" Torsion Bar Twist and Old Man Emu rear springs. More to come on the underside later.

moab_rayledge.jpg

Dead Link Removed

• Tires: 33X12.5 R15 BFG KO's
  • Wheels: American Eagle Ar-117 15x8's
  • Front Suspension: Trailmaster 4" Ranger lift kit
  • Rear Suspension: Skyjacker 4" lifted springs
  • Shocks: 4" lifted SSV's.
  • Lift: 2" body lift
  • Gear Ratio: 3.55:1 (Waiting for the ARB to come, so I can put 4.10's)
  • Differantials: Rear: open (Waiting for a ARB to be available), Front: open
  • Transfercase: Advanced Adaptor Atlas II 3.78:1 Lo
  • Plug wires: Magnacor 8.5mm
  • Spark plugs: Bosh Platinium 4+
  • Power: Interstate/Optima Yellow Top
  • Lights: PIAA Pro 80XT's, PIAA 520's
  • Cargo Rack: Con-Ferr
  • Winch: Ramsey Platinum 9500 with Serria Wraparound winch mount.
  • Front Tow hooks: GM full size tow hooks
  • Rear Tow hooks: Ford rear tow loop
  • CB Radio: Cobra 29NT-ST
  • GPS: Garmin GPS III Plus
  • Misc: Front& Rear swaybar disconnects,shock mount protectors,T-case/Torsion Bar skidplate, Hi-Lift jack, Granatelli rear diff cover/support, Power One CO2 tank, Bushwacker Extend-A-Fenders
    The engine breaths better with a K&N drop-in filter.

• [Edited by Ray Lobato on 10-16-2000 at 05:45 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sundown: I'm originally from Iron Mountain, which is right on the Michigan/Wisconsin border but I am in Houghton right now because I am attending Michigan Tech. I don't really have time to do a lot of wheeling now because of school but I usually still get out once a month on the weekends and hit some trails.

ray: I would probably be interested in some rear shock mount skid plates if they are not too expensive... I am in college but still wouldn't mind some extra protection for those shock mounts. I got one hung up on a stump once when I was backing up and was a little worried when I had to get pulled off the stump. Everything turned out okay, luckily, but some extra protection would be nice.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Looks Great Ray!!! If only Ford offered that as an options package. I bet it'd sell like hotcakes.

Hey Ray, I would also be interested in the rear shock mount skid plates. I also am interested in seeing some pics of the underside of your explorer. I would like to see the modifications to the lift and your skid plates. I also wouldn't mind knowing what you had to do to move your bumpers with your body mount and the mounting of your tow hooks. Thanks for the any info. You could e-mail me the pics and info if you do not want to put them all up. jgriffn@swbell.net

Looks really nice for a late model.

Looks good Ray,
As soon as you get a some good trail marks, it will look like a real EXPLORER.

Ray have you worked out the problems with the Altas? Great looking truck man. I glad you did everything you did, because i feel for the 95+ explorer owners because there isn't nothin out there for ya'll. People will see your truck and want to lift their explorer. The more demand the better. again Great Job Man!

RU MAN,
Yea, I just had to get the rear output shaft seal replaced, now it's ok. I will be going to Hollister Hills this weekend to check it out. Won't be doing anything extreme since I still have to lean what the truck will and will not do now, plus I need to get familar with shifting the Atlas in and out. In an automatic, it's not quite as easy as just shifting in and out. I still have to put the tranny in neutral and drive on order to get the front and rear shift levers to move from one position to another.

Looks Great!

Great looking truck Ray!
Those 33x12.5s really look good. Any rubbing issues on the trail/rocks? The shock plates/extenders sound like just what the doctor ordered. Keep us posted.
Rick

Wheels?

Ray,
What is the offset and backspacing of your wheels? Do the tires rub either inside, or outside?
Thanks
Rick

Hey Ray,
Your truck looks Great!
I was wondering which day you are going
down to hollister this weekend??
Please let me know...so i can meet up with
you..hopefully sunday..:)

Hey Anthony,
I was thinking about Saturday only because if something needs fixing I can take it back to Trains 4x4 and have him fix it since he's open on Saturday. Can you make it?

Hi Rick,
The offset on my AR-117's is -18mm and the backspacing is 3 3/4"
I didn't have any rubbing until I added the Bushwackers. We trimmed it alittle, but haven't taken it out in the dirt yet so don't know yet.
How's AZ? Shouldn't be any hotter than Palm Springs is it?
You gonna be able to make it to Truckhaven?
I'll post a picture of the shock mount skids here pretty soon.

Shifter

Ray,

How did the interior shifter turn out in your Explorer since you have an auto I wondered how it looks.

Kris,
I didn't have to do anything to the console at all, the shifters where put just on the left hand side of the console. I did have to move my CB. Now I have to find a place to put my CB. I will take a picture and post it so you can see how it looks. We did have to force that part of the hump out enough to get the shifters to fit. This was accomplished by using a very large pry bar

I used to look this way
View

Here it is, my shifters for my Atlas II T-case.
View

No room for my CB now

[Edited by Ray Lobato on 10-20-2000 at 10:06 PM]

Hey Ray, I don't know how big your CB is, but mine fit nicely on the back of the console. There it is pretty much hidden since I don't use it all the time and you can mount the mike anywhere on the console you want. Just an idea.
By the way your truck looks sweet!

sorry ray, saturday is filled up. but i would love to do another bay area run like we did last year. and see if any new comers are out there. so have a great time,have fun and test out the rig for us all ,and then let us know. again the truck looks great ray,hellava turn around from the last time i saw it. ps. will this mean tom's freind won't have to fish for body molding's???????? lol take care ray talk to ya soon.

Way too cool

Way to nice Ray !!!

Just some questions about the install on the ranger lift. How did you address the welded crossmember for the rear torsion bar mounts ??? Assume removal and ground clean and then bolted in the Ranger crosmember ???

With the suspension lift installed but no body lift, could the 33x12.50's be fitted ???

Thanks !!!

Mark

97 Explorer Sport
ohv 4.0 265/70R16 Firestones just waiting to blow

" Im willing to do today what most people won't so I can live tomorrow like most people can't. Zig Zigler

AWESOME Ray!!

That is one fine looking rig!!

Paul
'91 Sport

Re: Way too cool

Originally posted by secret agent
Way to nice Ray !!!

Just some questions about the install on the ranger lift. How did you address the welded crossmember for the rear torsion bar mounts ??? Assume removal and ground clean and then bolted in the Ranger crosmember ???
Only part of the torsion bar crossmember is welded. they have drop down brackets that bolt under the welded part and bolt the middle portion. See upper portion of Picture
View

View

What needs to be welded is the bracket where the pork chop is. In this picture we have not modified it yet
View

Notice that there is a welded bar almost in the middle of the bracket. This keeps the pork chop from moving around.
View

With the suspension lift installed but no body lift, could the 33x12.50's be fitted ???
Well I guess, but I don't know for sure. If it does, then it is because you don't have fender flares. I added the 2" body lift because I needed 1" between the frame and the body to make the Atlas II T-case fit and also I wanted the run 35's. 35's were way too big. The 33's worked just fine, with no rubbing until I put on the fender flares. I'm still trimming as I go.

Here's the skid plate for the front and torsion bars.
View

This is a side view looking at the rear portion of the same skidplate
View

OK I took it out to Hollister Hills today and took these pictures, well actually Tyson was out there to and he took them, except for the posed pic with nobody in the truck.
The Atlas T-case is fanstic. I only wish I had the 410's and a Locker. The quick disconnects work really great.

View

View

View

View

View

View

Back