re gear, results?

Fish Man

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Hey guys. I've had 33's for a few years and 30,000 miles, I've been getting about 14you mpg average. I drive very slow :p well, the truck is slow and I try to maximize my mpgs. I've never planned to regear because of the cost, but started looking at axles lately and found a set out of a wrecked explorer w/4.10s in em for $200. Figured swapping the whole axles will be cheaper and easier. I think I have 3.73s, but might be 3.27s, will double check if it affects yalls opinions. What im getting at is would it be worth it in streetability, mpgs and off road performance to put in these 4.10 axles? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just dug out my window sticker (yes, still have the window sticker, my parents are the original owners) and found out its got 3.55s if that makes any difference

It very well could improve your mpgs. Your truck will be able to accelerate quicker, thus getting up to a "maintaining" speed condition instead of accelerating condition.

There's charts around, but I would estimate (just shooting from the hip) that 4.10 with 33s would be approximately the same as stock tires with 3.55.

So right now, you are under geared. Getting the 4.10s should be a priority. Heck, I have 4.56 with 33s and love it.

Thanks, tom! I did look at the chart and you're right, putting in 4.10s will put it nearly at stock w/3.55s. Think ill do it, for $200 it sounds like a good deal to me!

for $200, you cant beat it. That is around the price of one set of gears alone. I installed 4.56's from my stock 3.73's, and man what a difference. I was running 33's on the stock gearing and my mpg started diving, but now it still sucks but not as bad :) lol. The engine and transmission will love you for the upgrade. :)

Back