Real bad shaking/wobbling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Real bad shaking/wobbling

mrowley1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Hey everybody,
I recently bought my 01 XLT and I am finding some problems with it. When I get up to 70-75 it shakes/wobbles real bad in the steering wheel. I already started replacing a bunch of stuff to get it updated in the parts. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

alignment?

if it's an awd, could be the front hubs. They go bad, caused my wife's mountaineer to wobble like that. Could also be ball joints which are a common failure point, also check tie-rod ends.

I agree with the alignment idea first. Ballance the tires too with no mud in there. If you ever put a tire plug in then guess what? It's out of ballance. Missing a lug nut?...

You need a baseline for trouble shooting. If it's rough riding in someones truck too then maybe it's the highway in your area. Otherwise, you may have one of a number of a host of issues revolving around high speed vibration. If you went 95mph and the problem went away that may explain an unballance somewhere. That will get you a big fat speeding ticket though.

Check for worn or lose suspension components first.
If everything is nice and tight, have the wheels balanced and the tires checked for excessive runout. A roadforce balance would be the best. Google it to find a shop near you that has a roadforce machine.

Alignment issues don't cause wobbles or vibrations, it wears out rubber quickly, unevenly.

I will agree on that too. It takes two people to check it out real good. One to shake the wheel and steering wheel. Another to inspect. I went out to change a wheel bering today and found out I need a upper ball joint. It's hard check alone.

After allignment perhaps over-inflated tires?

Back