Strange tranny problem... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange tranny problem...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok here is a picture of the speedometer sensor that was destroyed. I put the new one in already and I didnt get a picture of it, but the housing on the old one is completely destroyed.

Picture1890.jpg

Here is the spindle thing that came out of the speedometer sensor, this is not supposed to just pop in and out.

Picture1893.jpg

Picture of my transfer case, Borg Warner you will be assimilated, resistance is futile!

Picture1892.jpg

Picture of the damage to the blue wire, I patched it, hopefully the other wires arent too bad.

Picture1894.jpg

Blurry picture of the connector to the speed cable.

Picture1891.jpg

I think that is oil on the connector, I did clean it before installing it onto the new sensor :)

Ebay

There's nothing better than getting a good deal on a vehicle and fixing it up. I bought my 2000 XLS on Ebay for $4,000 with a "blown transmission." I did the VB rebuild as detailed here for about $200 and have a near brand new truck. The Mrs. loves it. This is a great Forum.

Take care,

Bill

BrooklynBay said:
Some alternators come with a lifetime warranty. I would also suggest that you have the battery tested before replacing the alternator. It could be causing the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had the alternator tested today, and it had a bad diode inside. I tried to tear it down and repair the diode but I couldnt get the thing apart. Because of time restraints, and the fact that the alternator was underpowered and had a squeek when spun, I decided to replace it with a Napa alternator. Problem solved. Thanks again everyone that helped with the transmission problem :)

I do have a new problem. There is a knocking sound that seems to be coming from the bell housing area. I though it was the engine, so I cleaned my sensors and reset the computer but the knocking is still there. I climbed under the truck and the sound seems to be coming from between the engine and the transmission. This sound happens in any gear it seems.

I kinda think it has something to do with the torque converter. The guy I purchased this X from said he "forgot to spin on the torque converter, so he dropped the transmission and spun it on". I am not sure what he meant by that, but maybe he missed something and this is causing the knocking. Is there anything in there that could cause a knocking sound?

The knocking happens when at idle I hit the throttle and I hear the knocking pretty solidly. I have heard it while moving and stationary. It knocks loudly until the rpm's level out. I am at a loss on this. I hope the fix is simple, I really dont want another week of work under the X.

Thanks again for any help :)

If the splines weren't properly aligned with the converter, then the converter isn't properly seated. If this guy didn't drop it into place like he said, then you have bad news. The converter, shafts, and pump could be grinding down.

also the knocking noise could be from not getting the tc bolts tight enough as well.but im with brooklyn on this one it sounds like the guy may have not got it seated all the way.usually you spin it in you will feel it go through the levels (3) it will spinnn drop a little spin drop a little and spin drop final. this is just a guesstemate on the amount it will go in but you will know when its all the way in. i cant remember the depth it should be but maybe glacier has some specs.

Thanks guys for replying. Brooklyn, that could be it, I dont think this guy knew what he was doing and he might not have put it on correctly. The sound is intermitent, at highway speeds it is still noticable but hard to make out. But when you let off the gas it becomes noticable, and when any change in rpm's happen it gets pretty loud.

The guy that had it before me knew enough to change out the engine but he lacked the attention to detail necessary to finish the job, so I am thinking he missed a detail when he put the torque converter back on.

toy720, it could be the bolts, that was my first thought, and probably the least expensive to fix (theoretically). I guess I will have to drop the transmission and find out. I will keep yall posted, if anyone has any other thoughts, I would like to hear them. I want to be ready when I drop that tranny.

Thanks again :)

he's right you dont have to yank the trannny to check tc bolts but if its the ring gear bolts then it would have to come out.

woah sweet!

That should make the inspection easier. Lets hope its T/C bolts! At the very least I should be able to find out what the noise is.

Thanks a million you 2, saved me a load of time :)

Well I pulled the starter and low and behold the torque converter to flex plate nuts were loose. The guy that put it in must have forgotten to tighten them. Three of them were very lose, maybe slightly hand tight. One was very tight, almost torque spec (30 ft*lb). After I buttoned it all back up the sound was gone pretty much. There is a little clicking that I hear but it could be coming from somewhere else, since I probably didnt notice it before cause of the loud clanking sound of the flex plate.

Thanks a million guys for helping with this.

Cheers!

Back