Really Confused!!!

SPORTCRAZIE

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
WESTCHESTER,N.Y
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 SPORT
Ok I know this has been talked about a million times but I have some ?? I lowered my X 2" in the front nothing in the rear.The guy who lowered my X works for ford he told me It can't go lower...My first ? is can It go lower?
I want to do a 1" drop in the rear and go another inch in the front.The guy is telling me in the front it will hit the "stops" and won't ride well,Is this true?Will it hurt the truck if I go another 1" in the front?Do I have to change the shocks right away?I'm really confused because different people tell me different things. I just want to hear something that will make sense.People drop X's low this I know,So why is this guy telling me not to do it?

This is all I want 3"(front) 1"(rear) and I plan on changing my shocks within the next month or so...:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can slam it if you want. Any lower than 2" and you will start hitting your front bumpstops if you arent already. The CV's will also take more wear. Depending on how far out your torsion bolts are now depends on how much lower you can go without dong the adjuster flip.

He's right. The more you lower it the worse it will ride and the more stress you'll put on components. Your shocks, bumpstops, and CV joints limit the amount you can easily lower in the front.

Are you guys sure he is a 4WD?

Originally posted by Hartman
Are you guys sure he is a 4WD?
Not sure, but he does live in NY. ;)

I droped the front 2 inches to level the truck out basically, So wouldn't dropping the rear an inch be pointless...Wouldn't the rear then sit lower then the front again?

Ok, here's what you do. Take your torsion bolts completely out. That'll give you 2.5-3 inches. Then put the 1 inch blocks out back.

That should give you the look you're going for.

I might sound like a pain in the ass, But will that kill my ride? and how about shocks? Is it safe to do?

1. Your ride will suffer IF you are on stock bumpstops and shocks. You will have to cut down your bumpstops or get lower profile ones, and new shocks are a MUST. The stock shocks will not last long.

2. It's safe, the torsion bolts don't secure anything, they are just there for adjustment.

Originally posted by Hartman
1. Your ride will suffer IF you are on stock bumpstops and shocks. You will have to cut down your bumpstops or get lower profile ones, and new shocks are a MUST. The stock shocks will not last long.

I beg to differ. I lowered my EX about 15 months (and 22K + miles) ago and it still rides lke the day I lowered it. The area I live in doesn't exactly have great roads and I drive over dips and potholes daily.

The ride isn't that bad to me, it's actually smoother than any S-10 or car I've ridden in that had cut or heated springs. Sure it's a little bouncy, but it doesn't beat you to death and it's not annoying , ie. I never curse about needing new shocks (a stiff ride would be a nice, sporty luxury though).
In comparison to stock height, I actually like it lowerd w/ stock shocks & tires better. At stock height, it was stiff, but that made bumps and potholes seem worse. Also, after driving 2 diff. Hondas for the 8yrs. before, lane changes on the interstate felt scary the way ol' girl would lean.

I should note that my Ex is a 98, 2 wheel drive sport and only had about 40K miles on it before lowering. I also trimmed about a 1/4" off the stock bumpstops.

Not sure if you'd like the ride on stock shocks?
Just take the torsion bolts out of the front and drive around on it for a few days ( I drove mine raked back and forth to work for a week or so before lowering the rear, people at work couldn't even tell I had done anything and driving it that way wasn't wierd). If you don't like it, put the bolts back in and get an alignment and start saving for shocks. It should be easy to get back to stock height, as my torsion bolts had very light corrosion on them and it was obvious how far in they were.

After driving 15 months lowered, your stock shocks have to be blown in the front. I don't see how it could ride good?!

Mine didn't last a week! When I took them off to install the Edelbrock, the old ones were still pretty stiff after 55,000 miles but I guess they just couldn't handle the lowered ride. They were very bouncy. Annoyingly bouncy.

Back