Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Exp
86 F150
68 Stang
Hello all,

I have been experiencing issues with my rear ac in my 2006 explorer limited for quite some time now. For the past couple years the rear vents have mostly only blown hot air ( they blew cold air maybe once or twice during the past few years). And I don't mean like luke warm air like the mix was wrong, but super hot air. Like full max heat even when the dial is cranked to the coldest setting. I did some research and it sounds like it could be a number of issues, (bad blend door actuator, clogged freon hose, leaks in the rear ac system, bad expansion valve etc.) The problem is that despite all my research I have no idea how to diagnose which of the issues it is, or even where the rear ac system is located in the car so that I can have a look at it. Any suggestions as to what it might be, how to diagnose what the problem is, and where the rear ac system is located would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I would bet (almost guarentee) it is just the rear blend door actuator being broken but there is a slight chance it's electrical and not mechanical. If the rear ac had a hole in a line you would have no front ac i know because i had a hole in my rear ac line. I am pretty sure if it was any of the other things listed you would also have problems with the front ac.

Now the rear ac and heat is located in the rear of the car on drivers side and can be accessed from the trunk. There is a grill looking thing that is removable (look near the floor to the left with the tailgaye up) and you can get to a few things. I don't think you will be able to replace the blend door without removing the entire rear trim pannel but may be able to test it.

I dont know how you would actually test the actuator. But my best guess is you would need a wiring diagram (for wire color of the +12 wire and the ground wire it's possible that thease two wires will be larger in size than the other ones) and you could use a digital volt meter to check if the actuator is getting 12v when you move the dial up front. Or you may be able to have two people one up front one in the back and listen very carefully for the sound of the actuator moving as the person up front moves the dial. Also before you do any of that check for any blown fuses it could be something that simple.

Edit
I did a little more research and testing with a voltmeter you will need a wiring diagram.

Back