• Register Today It's free!

Rear Axel splines for 94 explorer

DemonEx

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver B.C Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer XLT
I have a 94 explorer XLT and I need to know how many splines are on my rear axel shaft I know its either 28 or 31 but I dont know which? Please help I want to get a locker and need to know.

Thanks Dan

Welcome to the site! You'll find everything you want to know about your truck right here.

Every Explorer (except the 02 and newer 4-doors) has a Ford 8.8", 31 spline rear axle.

What locker are you going with?

Thanks this is a great site I called ford 2 times and they still couldnt tell me.I was thinking of getting either a ARB or a lockrite for the rear for now. I like the ARB because I work in Whistler sometimes and there is alot of snow and I hear that lockers can cause you to loose controll in snow when they engage.The ARB is just so expensive though but nice.

I agree, there a a whole lot of knowledgeable people here on the boards who are always willing to help if they have an answer. You'll find that out pretty quick.

The ARB is a really nice unit and it's pretty popular because of it's ability to act like a fully open differential (ideal for icy and snowy conditions, as you mentioned). But you are right, it is expensive and the air compressor required to operate it must be purchased separately and thjen mounted somewhere on board. I would suggest conducting a search of the boards for things like "locker", "ARB", "Powertrax", "LockRite" and other name brand lockers to find discussions about them. There's a lot of useful information here if you're willing to do a little digging.

Back