• Register Today It's free!

Rear axle advice, please....

dave63

Reaction score
City, State
Boulder-ish, CO.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport 2WD/5 SPD.
Less than 800 miles away from 200K on my '95 Sport 2WD/5spd. Rear axle still making road whine when tranny engaged. Changed out pumpkin fluid last spring, no change.

Best route to take on this? Is it worth it to rebuild the rear diff, or just replace the whole axle? If I go with replacement, what are the odds I'd get another one with the same issue? By this time, I figure the only ones available are going to have at least 150K on them.

What are the particulars about this type of operation?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A used rear may whine, and it may not. Its not unusual for them to go 300k or more. The key is keeping the oil changed (100k if road use only) and keeping water out. Once they start to whine, the only cure is an overhaul normally. Overhauling one isn't for the faint of heart, nor is it cheap even if you do the work - and most can't because they lack either the knowledge or the tools (some specialty tools are mandatory for this) or both.

Less than 800 miles away from 200K on my '95 Sport 2WD/5spd. Rear axle still making road whine when tranny engaged. Changed out pumpkin fluid last spring, no change.
what happens if you just coast the vehicle (foot off of the gas pedal) ? Does the whine persist?

No, only when driveshaft is engaged. Tells me there's slop in the pinion gears.

Its not unusual for them to go 300k or more.
Well, that's good to know.

The key is keeping the oil changed (100k if road use only) and keeping water out.
Well... heh... I just did it a couple K ago. So I'm way behind on that one.
No water.

Once they start to whine, the only cure is an overhaul normally.
I've figured as much.

Overhauling one isn't for the faint of heart, nor is it cheap even if you do the work - and most can't because they lack either the knowledge or the tools (some specialty tools are mandatory for this) or both.
I've figured that out, when I had a couple of experienced, certified mechanics instantly flat-out refuse to do it. LOL. I'm aware there's some specialty stuff involved, which is why I asked.

I've figured that out, when I had a couple of experienced, certified mechanics instantly flat-out refuse to do it. LOL. I'm aware there's some specialty stuff involved, which is why I asked.
Well, you'll need a dial indicator with a magnetic base, and you'll need a pinion depth gauge (I think Summit Racing has them, you'll have to check). You'll also need a 1/4" drive torque wrench to measure the pinion pre-load. Oh, and a hydraulic press w/bearing clamshells to get bearings on and off with. Having a housing spreader is REALLY nice to get the carrier back in with, too. All told, probably $500 - $1000 worth of tooling...probably not worth the investment if this is the only one you'll do.

you might get lucky and it just be the pinion bearing making the whine like mine did , I didnt have to touch the other stuff just had a shop remove and press on the new bearing and all was good.

I would bet RING & PINION. It is a hell of a lot easier and, in the end, cheaper to have this kind of work done by a professional. Unless, of course, you want to buy the tools to do it right.

Well, cool. I'll look into the bearing replacement as a first option. Any recommendations on brand/source?

In the meantime, there's a '97 limited-slip that's become available, same ratios. Guy says it'd be a nice upgrade.... your opinions/thoughts?

No reason not to change IMHO. Just look inside it before buying I would say.

Huh. I could get the rear 150k rear axle installed, $500 total. Even has the proper sensor to adjust the speedo. Very tempting.

And now, I've got an inquiry in to another guy who's willing to rebuild mine. So, if I go that route, any suggestions for where to get the parts? I'd need the pinion gears, bearing kits, shims, etc... even U-bolts.

Go to your nearest NAPA or CarQuest. Can use O'Reillys, Advance, CSK or Autozone also. Being near Denver, there should be any number of shops that specialize in gears and differentials.

Back