• Register Today It's free!

Rear Axle Replacement

jcoulter

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
I actually have a 2003 Expedition, however, I never got the answer I was looking for in the Expedition forum so I'm posting here. I'm trying to replace the CV Axle in the rear. I have all the components taken apart and my next step is to push the axle into the differential so that it exposes the C-clip. Shaft inside the differential is pushed out of the way. The problem is that the axe only moves about a 1/4 inch total and there's not enough movement inwards to expose the C-clip. It won't move anymore. Anyone have any ideas? Differerential is a 9.75 inch. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I actually have a 2003 Expedition, however, I never got the answer I was looking for in the Expedition forum so I'm posting here. I'm trying to replace the CV Axle in the rear. I have all the components taken apart and my next step is to push the axle into the differential so that it exposes the C-clip. Shaft inside the differential is pushed out of the way. The problem is that the axe only moves about a 1/4 inch total and there's not enough movement inwards to expose the C-clip. It won't move anymore. Anyone have any ideas? Differerential is a 9.75 inch. Thanks.

Independent suspension does not use "C" clips within the differential carrier. The axle shaft is retained in the differential side gear by "Circlips" which encircle the splined end of the shaft and engage an inner groove in the side gears. To remove the axle, use of a slide-hammer is preferred, which will disengage the circlip and allow the axle shaft to slide out. imp

Yes, you're correct. Meant to say circlip. Are you telling me that I need to hit the end of the shaft (Part that sticks out by the hub) with a sledgehammer?

I've read so many posts whereby people just slide the shaft into the carrier once they unbolt it from the hub. Is my set up different?

I could be wrong but I think hitting the end of the shift is not good. Pretty sure it can damage the joint.

I had to put the shafts back in my Explorer about a month ago. I slid it into the diff as far as it would go by hand. I then took a block of wood and a mini sledge and bumped it in. There was just enough of a lip on the fat end on the differential side to push on with the block of wood.

Picture below for reference. On my shaft there was a lip just after the boot that I could beat against with a block of wood.

leak.jpg

Slide hammer to pull it out, or use a pry bar.

So let me get this straight. I've read so many posts whereby people say that to "remove" the old axle, you push it into the differential. Then inside the differential, you remove a clip off the end of the axle. Then simply pull the axle out.

Now I'm starting to think this information is "not" correct. I'm now starting to think that I don't need to open up the differential at all. I simply pull the "old" axle out with a slide hammer or pry it off. The circlip on the end of the axle never comes off.

Which one is correct? By the way, the pic that BarryCarey posted is what my setup looks like.

you are confused between a solid rear axle which uses a "c-clip" where you open the differential and push the axle in slightly to remove the "c-clip" and pull it out. Our explorer (2002+) is an irs and uses a "circlip" which you don't need to open the differential and just simply tap out the axle shaft by using a slide hammer, SST (big fork) or a piece of wood. Not sure about using a pry bar, there's just no space for leverage against the differential (maybe putting a piece of wood to provide clearance).

I Dont know how these axles come out, but if they do come out with a slide hammer.
A old trick I learned from a machine shop, when I had my cj5 and had to pull a axle.

They gave me a old pickup truck wheel, had some metal plate bolted to it for weight and a chain.
Bolt the chain to the axle using the lug nuts.
Was a long chain so you bolt one end to the axle, run the chain through the center hole of the rim, bolt the other end of chain to axle opposite side so you get a even pull.

Just hold that wheel up to your chest, hold it out and let it swing between your legs, be ready to jump out of the way as the axle comes flying out.

The weight was only about 25-30 pounds, but just enough with the downward speed and the jolt, to easily pop out a axle, that I had been fighting for 2 hours trying to get it out.
And you can improvise with anything heavy you can attach a chain to.

Fool, that's just like the junkyard method, lugnut a chain and snap like a whip. Good stuff.

Back