rear axle!!!! TROUBLES!!! HELP PLEASE!!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear axle!!!! TROUBLES!!! HELP PLEASE!!!!

well a set of these plates are 175 dollars through ford.... does anyone know someplace aftermarket i can get these??? and for the L/S what weight gear oil should i use and should i use synthetic or not??? what are pros and cons of each...and i know i need an additive but is there a certian kind i should get?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can usually pick up a complete rear end from a junkyard for $100-$200. If the clutches cost $175, and you're going to have to set it all back up, I'd just swap axles. Then, you have spare axle shafts for when you start breaking stuff...

You can usually pick up a complete rear end from a junkyard for $100-$200. If the clutches cost $175, and you're going to have to set it all back up, I'd just swap axles. Then, you have spare axle shafts for when you start breaking stuff...

yea all the junkyads around here are 150 to 175 for a complete axle.... and im trying to go cheaper...which is why im looking for an aftermarket place that sells them cuz they will be cheaper than the 175 through ford... so anyone knows any websites i can find these at lemme know or my truck may be sitting still for a while

now yet another question...i just googles ford differential clutch pack and im coming up with all these mustang rebuild kits...are they the same thing or is the ford racing products not going to work well for my occasional off road use?

I'm just talkin outta my rear here, but coming from a past drag racer and a road racer.... In general, racing stuff is going to see more wear and tear then the sporadic trip out in the bush ever would.

Now a weekend warrior up on 35's.... That might give a strip Stang a run for it's LS money..... but under normal conditions....no.

I'm just talkin outta my rear here, but coming from a past drag racer and a road racer.... In general, racing stuff is going to see more wear and tear then the sporadic trip out in the bush ever would.

Now a weekend warrior up on 35's.... That might give a strip Stang a run for it's LS money..... but under normal conditions....no.

well thats the thing...im planning on getting 33's and a 4.10 ratio and its working on becomming a weekend warrior... not quite there yet buti dont wanna get other things rolling then have to turn around and redo this process so i wanna make sure its beefed up enough to work now and withstand the abuse later

so would these plates being bad give my truck reason to have all these odd symptoms??? and what weight gear oil should i use and synthetic or not????

I think you are missing something. I think your rear end should work whether the clutches are trash or not or even there. Pretty sure any clutches you find for a 8.8 will work fine. You might even look for a open diff in a junkyard without clutches. Have to check the axle codes on the door. Keep digging in to it.

I think you are missing something. I think your rear end should work whether the clutches are trash or not or even there. Pretty sure any clutches you find for a 8.8 will work fine. You might even look for a open diff in a junkyard without clutches. Have to check the axle codes on the door. Keep digging in to it.

i would love to keep my L/S and like i said its all apart now... spider side ring and pinion gears all look good and work fine.... bearings are good carrier bearings are being replaced while i have it apart...but arent needed.... and the tranny doesnt show any problmes...it spins the driveshaft...its the power not being fully transfered to the wheels and its gotta be in the rear end...and the only thing i can find is those clutch packs being broke...

well just keeping everyone updated with what im doing...i found a set of slightly used track lock spider gears and 2 sets of clutch plates...cheaper than the clutch plates alone so if thats part of my added problem im eliminating that poss...next to check is the axle shaft splines.... how thick and deep are the splines supposed to be on the axle shafts? same with the pinion yoke and pinion?

i got my new spider gears today and what not..and set the clutch plates up the way i've been told (clutch, drive, clutch, drive, clutch, drive, clutch) and i put the damn spring back in and yea its a super tight fit... im wondering if it almost isnt too tight... literally i cant even get the spider gears to turn without the whole carrier turning even with the pinion yoke locked (using a big big bolt agains the housing to prevent it from turning) i spin the pinion yoke, both tires spin, i spin one axle shaft both spin and so does the pinion yoke.... but it seems i have rear end function again.... just wondering if its too tight... i dotn exactly what it to act like a spool...or will it act differently with the weight of the truck and what not (after i finish my BL until then i cant really test it) and after i get some rear end fluid in there? lemme know what u think thank you!

i got my new spider gears today and what not..and set the clutch plates up the way i've been told (clutch, drive, clutch, drive, clutch, drive, clutch) and i put the damn spring back in and yea its a super tight fit... im wondering if it almost isnt too tight... literally i cant even get the spider gears to turn without the whole carrier turning even with the pinion yoke locked (using a big big bolt agains the housing to prevent it from turning) i spin the pinion yoke, both tires spin, i spin one axle shaft both spin and so does the pinion yoke.... but it seems i have rear end function again.... just wondering if its too tight... i dotn exactly what it to act like a spool...or will it act differently with the weight of the truck and what not (after i finish my BL until then i cant really test it) and after i get some rear end fluid in there? lemme know what u think thank you!

just more updates for all the curious ones that helped me with this post...i welded on my new spring perches today and plan on putting the axle abck under the truck and seeing what she does!!!!! So we will see (i would have done it today but after welding it was raining and im kinda in the back forty (meaning im working back in the pasture due to thats where my truck was stored once the rear end first went out lol)

Back