Rear Captains Chairs???

SportlineXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Pittston Township, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT,BMW 325
Hey guys,
I have alot of ideas for my new Explorer XLT 4x4. One of them was maybe finding front seats out of another X that match mine, along with the center console, and take out the rear seats in mine and install the new ones like captains chairs with the console in between. I know the back floor isnt level, and I would have to work around that or modify the seat brackets. The seats would not be power. I like the idea alot, but need some feedback on this. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, I used the search and found info. :) Any feedback on this though? Thanks in advance.

i been thinking of doing something along those lines...

I got a set of Cobra Mustang seats that i want to put up front and move my factory ones to the back.... just havent had the time recently.

You could run power back to those seats with no effort man, it wouldn't be hard at all.

But if you have buckets in the back and a console, where are you gonna make out???

nissanboy said:
i been thinking of doing something along those lines...

I got a set of Cobra Mustang seats that i want to put up front and move my factory ones to the back.... just havent had the time recently.
Are you using the stock brackets? I assume the Stang seats sit lower.

This is the man with the rear bucket seats. I got the idea one friday evening and by sunday mid afternoon i had a set of rear buckets. My most favorite mod of them all!

Hey man,
Looks friggen awesome. How hard was the install? Was there MAJOR fabricating involved? I am sooo interested in this its not funny. Can you give me more info? Thanks! :D

i have the plans needed for the brackets.

the power issue isn't a matter of running power back to them- its that if you retain the seat rails the seats will sit too high for anyone to use them. Power is not a reasonable option back there.

also, fitting a stock console back there is going to be very hard unless you want to recover it in some other material rather than stock plastic.

Attachments

• HPIM0074.JPG
    HPIM0074.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,274
  • HPIM0079.JPG
    HPIM0079.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,126
  • HPIM0077.JPG
    HPIM0077.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 816

The install wasn't bad at all. i lined up the front holes on the seat brackets to match the studs that come through the floor. Then i chalk marked the rear holes and then drilled through the body/tub. Since the rear seat uses 3 studs through the floor you have to drill a hole to line up with one of the front seat mounts. Used 1/8" flat iron and bent them in angles that mathched the floor and the seat bracket curve. I really like how high they sit. In my 4-door i have a rise in my roof liner and no complaints from riders have come about. Kind of gives it a stadium seating look since my TV is mounted in front of the passengers seat. My seats still use all the sliding back and forth on the tracks and the leaning of the chair. hope this helps

Could you be a little more specific on what exactly you did with the iron? And also, did you make the seats bump against the back hump or did you put them on top and level them off? How did you get the console in there? Thanks!

when i get some time i can take some pictures...it's been crazy right now. I dunno when i'll get to them.

expo5.0,

Is that as far back as the seats go?

i like the idea of the rear captain seats and was thinkin bout puttin some in. the pics ive seen of these were in 4dr, would they fit in a 2dr sport?

expo5.0,
How much leg room do u have in the back seats?
Can someone sit back there without being cramped?

I might consider doing this, but it looks like there is 0 leg room...

there is not much space, but plenty of room. my front seats were all the way back in the pictures. your hip is in pretty much the same position as with the stock seats, they just hang out further which make sit appear to have less room but feel the same when your sitting there.

the brackets are $50

hey expo5.0

can you post the plans for the brackets or just email them to me

Mcane6@aol.com

thanks

yeah, soon as i figure out just what they are again.

i posted pictures of the plans for them on this site once. going to look for that picture.

the only reason i wouldn't like to do this is because of the availibility to fold down my rear seats.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey expo5.0
did u ever find the plans on them brackets or did u just give up ur search for them?

Back