rear cargo area interior plastic piece removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear cargo area interior plastic piece removal

72Fins1

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer Eddie
Okay so I'm wanting to weld a quarter panel in on the passenger side of my 94 Explorer and find a way to patch in a area for the area that is above the gas tank lid. To do this I know I'll have to remove the plastic pieces from the both sides of the rear cargo area The problem is that the plastic piece that goes from side to side on the back of the cargo area has to be removed to free up the side pieces on both sides of the cargo area and my screws are rusted and aren't going to budge. I'm wanting to drill the heads out and then drill the threads out if I have to. What would be the best size drill bit to achieve this? If anybody could please help me out here with any information that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to view this thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a really good Phillips screwdriver, a heavy hammer, and a work glove on the hand that you are holding the screwdriver with. Smack it !, I mean really hard, the end of the screwdriver. Then first try to turn the screw a hair clockwise before trying to back it out. Don't hit your glass with the tools.

Get a really good Phillips screwdriver, a heavy hammer, and a work glove on the hand that you are holding the screwdriver with. Smack, I mean really hard, the end of the screwdriver. Then first try to turn the screw a hair clockwise before trying to back it out. Don't hit your glass with the tools.
Thanks I'll try that but if it doesn't work will drilling it out work?

It might, but every time I try drilling a Phillips screw head I brake a lot of bits....
:sawzall:

For fasteners like you describe, I always try an impact driver. This is a tool that will take bits (like Phillips bits) and you smack it with a hammer. The tool will rotate slightly and will usually loosen up the fastener.

upload_2018-9-12_8-12-42.png

Okay I might try that. I work at Harbor Freight Tools so I might try a regular screwdriver first but if that doesn't I'll give the impact driver a try.

Okay I might try that. I work at Harbor Freight Tools so I might try a regular screwdriver first but if that doesn't I'll give the impact driver a try.

Ok you can try that but be careful not to strip the screws. Impact driver will loosen but not strip, that’s how I do it, try screwdriver first and then go to impact driver.

Sorry for late reply but I did get a set of bolstered screwdrivers and hit it on the end and it worked great so thanks for your help.
IMG_20180912_220610.jpg

Awesome
Glad to hear you got it done!

I'm glad that it worked. I need me one of those bolstered screwdrivers. That will keep me from tearing up my craftsman. That looks like a HF piece...

I'm glad that it worked. I need me one of those bolstered screwdrivers. That will keep me from tearing up my craftsman. That looks like a HF piece...
It is and I got it cheap since I work there. 8 piece set with magnetic tips and hex ends on the handles along with free lifetime warranty.
IMG_20180922_073600.jpg

Well if you see a cheap impact driver, pick one up, they are nice to have. Since they are 3/8” drive, you can use it for all kinds of other fasteners.

I have 2 impact drivers, I just need a really small but strong Phillips tip to plug in the end. I've snapped 3/8s drive sockets on it in the past and the shock factor helped loosen stubborn bolts

My comment was more for the OP.
I actually bought a 1/2” drive impact driver to complement my 3/8” drive one.
That thing is laughably big but i used it a couple times on tractor stuff and it saved my ass

Back