Rear Climate Control | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Climate Control

Has anyone noticed this?
If I use the front screen to control the Rear Heat- it gets turned on in the 3rd row. If I give the kids the control for the rear heat - it turns on the 2nd row.

This seems like a design flaw- what if I had an infant in the 2nd row I would have to reach back to use the manual knobs in the 2nd row in order to turn the heat on.

Has anyone else noticed this? or is my XLT messed up somehow?

It was the same way in my '11 Limited. I just chalked it up to a weird quirk with the system. It drove me crazy at first, but then I just got used to reaching behind me to control the heat for my son in the 2nd row. I hate dealers ripping into a new vehicle, so it wasn't important enough to warrant a trip back to them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey folks,

I recommend checking out the Rear Climate Controls section of your Owner's Manual. For the 2012 Explorer, this information begins on page 61 of the 2nd Printing of the manual. You can download a free copy here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage.

If you're concerned that your vehicle isn't behaving normally, swing by your local dealership so a Ford certified tech can take a look.

Crystal

Has anyone noticed this?
If I use the front screen to control the Rear Heat- it gets turned on in the 3rd row. If I give the kids the control for the rear heat - it turns on the 2nd row.

This seems like a design flaw- what if I had an infant in the 2nd row I would have to reach back to use the manual knobs in the 2nd row in order to turn the heat on.

Has anyone else noticed this? or is my XLT messed up somehow?
You should be able to get heat to the 2nd row without having to turn on the 2nd row controls. I can in mine. I control it from the MFT screen and the heat comes out of the roof vents.
There have been a couple of threads on this already. Here is one of them;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349597&highlight=heat+control

Peter

Possible rear heater problem.

Here is what is happening. When I have the heat on in my ex and go to turn on the rear heat via MFT [controlling it from the touch screen... "rear control" is not on] I can hear the fan working but I cannot seem to find where the heat is coming out from. Once I turn "rear control" on the heat comes out of the vent I select on the center armrest control thing. Is there a way to make the air come out of the roof vents when the MFT is not on rear control?

Apologies if there is already a thread on this topic.

It's really odd but the vents directly behind you are not blowing but the vents in the 3rd row are the ones that are blowing when rear control is not on. Why they engineered it to be that way beats me.

Here is what is happening. When I have the heat on in my ex and go to turn on the rear heat via MFT [controlling it from the touch screen... "rear control" is not on] I can hear the fan working but I cannot seem to find where the heat is coming out from. Once I turn "rear control" on the heat comes out of the vent I select on the center armrest control thing. Is there a way to make the air come out of the roof vents when the MFT is not on rear control?

Apologies if there is already a thread on this topic.
As indicated in my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing compilation of threads on the same issue.
From reading some of the posts it seems that if you turn on rear heat from the MFT, the heat comes out of the 3rd row vents. If you turn on the hear from the center console then the heat comes out of the 2nd row vents. I haven't verified this as I'm the only occupant in the vehicle and just use the front settings. It would make sense though if that is the way it works. Rear heat is in the 'rear'. If controlled from the center console it usually means that there is someone sitting there so the heat come out of the 2nd row vents.

Peter

Back