Rear differential leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear differential leak

shades9323

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
2004 Explorer 4.0 flex fuel

I have a leak in the rear diff. It looks like it is coming from the passenger side of the diff. Is this a diy repair? I am kind of a noob when it comes to repairing things. If not, how much should I expect this to cost at a mechanic. What might be wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is a DIY and the part which needs to be replaced is the "axle shaft seal". Be aware though that if you have a "limited slip" differential, it might take a little bit more time since you'll probably have to remove the "S" spring from the center of the diffetential. I would highly suggest getting a repair manual to walk you through the process (a Haynes or a Chiltons).
Posted via Mobile Device

You won't need to remove the "S" spring to get the axles out. Plenty of room in there to leave it in. If you can operate a jack and a ratchet, you can do this job.
________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT:

I used the search function on this site and found a decent how-to to follow. Click here
You may or may not need to replace the axle bearing. If you jack the truck up, take the tire off and grab the hub and try to move it up and down. There should not be any movement in that direction, however in/out movement of up to 1/16th is normal. If you do not find up/down movement you can replace just the seal and ignore the axle bearing replacement part of the thread I posted. I would suggest checking both rear axles and at a minimum replacing both axle seals. Its alot easier to do them both now than getting it back together and having the other side start leaking a few weeks later (been there, done it). The cost for an axle seal, replacement diff fluid, and cross-pin locking bolt will be about $100.

One note about that how to. It is recommended that you buy a replacement "cross-pin locking bolt" as these are well known for breaking if you re-use them.
I circled it in red in the photo below.
picture.php

I wouldn't use his method of removing the axle seal either. When you are at the parts store, purchase a seal remover. It looks like a straight flat handle with a little hook on the end. The seal should come right out with that tool with a little effort.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll pick up a manual on my way home tonight.

Back