• Register Today It's free!

Rear differential leaking

cden

Reaction score
City, State
michigan city, indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xls
I took my 02 ford explorer to a mechanic because I noticed some rear diff. fluid leaking out. He said its not the case itself leaking but coming from the passenger side of the case. He he would need to order a new boot and something else? I guess the part is like 10 bucks from the dealer. With labor he wants to charge 150 bucks. How long can I go with this leak? how much fluid does it hold and how do u fill it? He charged me 20 bucks to top it off last week. It seems like a real slow leak just a few drops here and there, but i'm sure it will get worse. Thanks for any info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear Diff. Fluid

Does anyone know how much fluid is needed for a 02 ford explorer, and how to fill it up? rear diff. fluid

would you just use a funnel to fill it up?

also do you know its full when it starts to come out of the fill hole?

You can try to squirt it from the bottle but have a pan to catch what runs down. The best way is to use a pump. Also make sure you get full syn. and heavy weight. The proper fill level is going above the fill pug by adding a little more via vent hose opening.

just did my drivers axle seal sounds like the same problem with yours... (only passenger) pretty simple to change its a common problem with thee truck i guess for stock equipment ford came out with a redisigned seal that looks much better then factory

Back