Rear doors won't lock/unlock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear doors won't lock/unlock

atoledo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello everyone.

Within a span of a month both rear door locks on my 2011 Explorer are failing to open or close when I push the button on the driver side door or from the key FOB. Nine times out of ten the passenger in the rear seat will have to manually lift the little lock up in order to open the door. When I press the button I can actually hear a humming from within the door of the mechanism trying to work, but nothing happens. My research so far indicates it's a faulty actuator.

I took it to the dealer/service center and they told me it was a bad "regulator" on both doors and would cost $600 to repair. I nearly had a heart attack. I canceled that right away and will attempt to fix myself.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks

Just took a quick look on Fordparts.com and the only mention of a "regulator" has to do with Power Windows. My windows work fine. No problems at all. Are they trying to pull a fast one on me?

Door lock actuators are what you need. I don't know if the explorer uses the same type as the 1999-new Super Duty, but there was a fix that you carefully disassemble, replace a resistor, and put back together. If you cut up a penny for the resistor replacement, it would be a $0.01 repair.

Back