Rear Driver's Side door won't unlock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Driver's Side door won't unlock

kgzak

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I have a 98 Ford Explorer XLT and the rear driver's side door won't unlock. It is stuck in the closed position and can't get it open. I managed to get the door panel off from inside the car without opening it and to me it looks like the module that locks the door has locked up and won't move. Is there any way I can fix this? Or is my door permanently locked shut?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After fighting mine for 3+ hours, I finally had to give up and take to dealer. $200 later they had door open and latch replaced. i have no idea how they finally got it - I was ready to use C4!

I had no experiene for the rear door. But I had similiar experience with the dri ver door. WHen it can't beunlocked, I had to get in and out from the passenger side for several days like a theft. FInally I got a chance and lowered the glass. I found a spring is broken and couldn't get the door in unlock state. I used a long stick and finally opened the door like the car theft in the film. Try lower the glass and use some stick and try by feeling. Good luck!

Sounds like it was a bad power door lock actuator. I've seen quite a few go bad on the 90's Fords. My friend had two seize up on his Mustang. They were stuck in the unlock position.

- Mario

Had that happen recently to my 97 and I'm willing to bet your problem is the same as mine. Reach in and find the rod that goes from the door latch up to the outside handle. Once you find it push it up and then make sure the door lock it pulled all the way up and then try to open it with the inside handle. My problem is this rod had slipped down due to a broken spring and would not let the door completely unlock. Once I got the door open I hooked a spring to the plastic on the bottom of the rod and the other end to the inside of the outside handle and it has worked fine ever since.

Had that happen recently to my 97 and I'm willing to bet your problem is the same as mine. Reach in and find the rod that goes from the door latch up to the outside handle. Once you find it push it up and then make sure the door lock it pulled all the way up and then try to open it with the inside handle. My problem is this rod had slipped down due to a broken spring and would not let the door completely unlock. Once I got the door open I hooked a spring to the plastic on the bottom of the rod and the other end to the inside of the outside handle and it has worked fine ever since.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! this was the problem. Saved me from having to get a new door!

You are very welcome. Turns out this is pretty common and the hardest part is getting the door panel off with the door shut. I could tell before I started that it wasn't quite unlocking all the way because you could see that the lock knob would not go up all the way. Glad I could help.

thank you so much had the same problem and it had me mind bogled for months i was to the point of taking a sawza to it and cutting the door open

Back