Lockers For my Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lockers For my Explorer

Francis

Reaction score
Hi,
Since A lot of you have already lockers installed in their truck. I would like to have help. I want to put lockers in my truck (Front and rear) but I really don't know wich type and brand. I tough of a auto-lok system like Powertrax performance lockers or lock-Right cause ARB are out of price for me... Any suggestion or tips???

Thanks

------------------
Francis
92 Sport 4X4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am also looking to do this along with a gear swap. Any replies or suggestions would be appreciated.

------------------
93XLT-5.5" Super Runner, Super Runner Steering, 1.5" Body lift,33x12.5,
Borla exhaust,KKM air filter

I have a Detroit locker in our 92 XLT 4 door. I also have a locker (powertrax) in my 84 e-150 Van with a ford 9". I don't feel the locker in the van but you can really feel it in the explorer. Normally the lockright lockers (powertrax) are rougher than the detroit. The Explorer is much shorter than the van which makes you feel the locker more. When we did the detroit in the Explorer we also changed the gears to 4:10 (we have 31" tires). Here are some examples of what we have noticed...

When put to gear you can feel the driveshaft move more than it used to.. There is more driveline windup. With the locker you can get almost 30 degrees of spin on the drive shaft before it engages.

If the front wheels are turned and you hit the gas from a stop you will feel the truck "wiggle".

If you are on dirt and stop to make a u-turn and do it under power you may go straight instead of turn (behing in 4 wheel drive fixes that)

turning radius when under power increases

Getting on/off/on the gas in a corner makes you go from oversteer to understeer to oversteer.

If this is a daily driver by someone who doesn't feel the benifits of a locker outway the wierdness then the ARB is the ONLY way to go. A lockright (powertrax) locker will have the above wierdness and possibly more since it is harsher than the detroit

let me know if you have any specific questions about how it acts now..

Mark

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

I have been talking to the people at Powertrax on the No-Slip Locker unit and they assured me that the unit is a lot stronger than the Lock-Right, much quieter, will never wear, and will also work great for the front differential, provided that you have manual hubs.

I'm saving up some money to get them myself.

I have been talking to the people at Powertrax on the No-Slip Locker unit and they assured me that the unit is a lot stronger than the Lock-Right, much quieter, will never wear, and will also work great for the front differential, provided that you have manual hubs. I got one quote from West Coast Differential of $406/rear and $374/front. It's a little cheaper if you have open differentials.

I'm saving up some money to get them myself.

kvo,

That seems expensive. You could probably get a detroit for only a little more

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

When we got the Detroit and gears in our 92 the total cost was $1800ish

$525 for the Detroit for teh 8.8" rear
3.27:1 gears changed to 4.10 (front/rear)

The parts/labor for the Gear change was $1300 (that includes tax and all parts)..

The install of the Detroit was free since you install it just like you do normal gears.

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

Back