Rear End Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear End Questions

DJ Tas

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey guy's I'm a little new to this but when it comes to cars they are my hobby and life. I own a 1998 Explorer Sport 4x4 and I need to know if anyone has some tips on replacing or rebuilding the rear end. It currently has a stock 8.8inch with 4.10 rear gears it also has 33x12.50 r15's and I wondering if I can put a taller gear in the rear with out doing anything to the front. You know how Gas Prices are now and I would like to get better the gas milage. I got to fix the rearend anyway cause I tore it up. I Love the fact this site is availible and hope someone out there can help me out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The best tip I can give on doing gears is if you've never replaced gears before than you should definitely let a professional do it. It requires very tight tolerances and very expensive tools. Unfortunately gears are very expensive to get done but you may save some money by pulling the rear end out yourself and bringing it to the shop. If you change the gears in the rear you will have to put the same ratio gears in the front as well otherwise you will destroy the transfer case.

Going with a taller gear is going to hurt your mileage. With a V6 & 33" tires you should be running 4:56 gears. You are not in your engine's optimal power range with the 4:10 gears.

Agreed. Taller gearing will make your mileage worse. Plus the expensive of regearing could buy a LOT of gas.
If you want better mileage, lose the lift and buy 31's

I didn't catch your's is 4wd. You will have to change the front gears as well.

33's with 3.73 is my life story :(

Thanks So much for all the great info

I think I'll keep it 4.10 gears and just eat the gas milage but if your right it won't be that bad anyways. Thanks Again All

Back