Need input for lift, re-gearing, rear end questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need input for lift, re-gearing, rear end questions...

Riceburner247

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 EB
Newbie here. I have a 93 4dr EB. I have a 5.5" Superlift waiting to go on. About to order my wheels and tires on Friday. The more I search, the more questions I have, haha. Anyways...

1. The tires I'm planning on getting are 35-12.50 M/T on 16x10 wheels. Is this a reasonable tire size for the lift? I figure if they rub in the front, I can always do the F150 coil seats?

2. If I'm going to be using 35s, I've read I need to re-gear. I found a few posts covering the correct gears for 35s and it seems like 5.13 would be fine for the 4.0L correct? And where can I buy the gears? Input please.

3. I want to have disc brakes in the rear. I think I read somewhere on here about using the rear end off a 2nd gen with disc brakes? If I need to re-gear, might as well swap the rear end out for what I want. Is there a thread covering this topic?

Again, newbie here. Not new to tools or garages, just 4x4's. :thumbsup:

Ok

1. Some can run 35 with the 5.5. I have seen it before but you can trim the front fenders, yse f150 coil seats, or body lift.

2. Yes you will need to re-gear. 5.13 will be low on the street. I would use 4.88 if you do more onroad driving. If for only off road 5.13 all the way.

3. Yes you can use the rear axle out of a 2nd gen X.

Back