• Register Today It's free!

Rear end removal.

tiepaz

Reaction score
City, State
Donnelly, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
My Explorer just started making bad noise from the rear end. Sounds like throwing a bunch of bolts in a blender, and the left rear wheel locks up.
The ring and pinon was replaced 15 months ago at the dealers because it had a humming noise.
Now I am out of warrantee and out of work so I have to deal with it my self.

I would like to know how to get the rear axle assembly out. I have removed several fixed rear ends but I have never had any experience with a independent rear end.
thank you for any help,,, great site by the way:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm that sounds like a whole lot of screwed over for you.

But, just go to the yard get a rear end for your generation, and bolt after bolt after hundreds of bolts bags and tags, swap them out.

Doesn't sound easy, nor fun, but definitely possible.

Good luck!

If my memory serves, you have to remove the rear knuckles, pop the halfshafts out, then remove the 4 (6?) bolts that hold the diff up in place. Doesn't look like too bad of a job, but I've never done one myself.

My Explorer just started making bad noise from the rear end. Sounds like throwing a bunch of bolts in a blender, and the left rear wheel locks up.
The ring and pinon was replaced 15 months ago at the dealers because it had a humming noise.
Now I am out of warrantee and out of work so I have to deal with it my self.

I would like to know how to get the rear axle assembly out. I have removed several fixed rear ends but I have never had any experience with a independent rear end.
thank you for any help,,, great site by the way:)

Well it turns out it was a wheel bearing, it destroyed the spindle so I have it all apart and I am looking for parts now

Someone called me today but I wasn't there and they spoke with Vince. If it was you PLEASE call me back and speak to nobody but ME. I'm the only one that'll give you guys the best price. Everyone else will only give you the Joe Schmo price.

Back