Rear end swap/upgrade. Need suggestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear end swap/upgrade. Need suggestions

Mikey2274

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
I was needing to replace the rear diff fluid in my 95 4wd Explorer. It is starting to get a loud So I took it to two different shops to be serviced. Both shops gave me the same answer. The check/fill plug is completely rusted and either shop could get it loose. Also, either shop wanted to try and loosen the diff cover due to the condition of those bolts as well. The truck has about 170K miles on it. So now I am going to get a used rear end with low miles from the local pull-a-part yard. My question is this...What years and models use this same rear end? Is it just 95-01 Explorers? Also, is there any other make and model vehicle where the rear end will be an upgrade and swap right into it with no problems? Any input is greatly appriciated!

Yeah, only 95-01 axles will swap in. Also since yours is a 4x4 you have to make sure to get the same gear ratio as the old axle. As for other model rear axles that will work I can't think of any that would swap right in place. But the Ford 8.8 is a pretty stout axle and not hard to find so I would just stick with that.

Remove the rear fill plug, or try, before going to that extreme. The gear ratio should be on a tag on one of the cover bolts. You can use any 95-01 Explorer rear for the V6 Explorers. A V8 truck would require a V8 rear end. Good luck,

Remove the rear fill plug, or try, before going to that extreme. The gear ratio should be on a tag on one of the cover bolts. You can use any 95-01 Explorer rear for the V6 Explorers. A V8 truck would require a V8 rear end. Good luck,

the only difference between the V6 and V8 Explorer rear axles, is the V8 axles have extra mounts for the traction-bars (which are not necessary).

No other differences :biggthump

Back