Lift Gate Glass Pops Open While Driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift Gate Glass Pops Open While Driving

tchrista

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Eddie Bauer
We have a 2006 EB. Just after the warranty expired, we started having a problem with the lift-gate glass popping open while driving. It's as if we pushed the button on the remote. Thought we might have accidentally touched the remote the first few times this happened. It seems to happen in certain areas and while driving in the one direction. Does it with while driving with either remote - both in the car - or one or the other - so I don't believe it is specific to a particular remote. Any thoughts or easy fixes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To start with, inspect the latch for any obvious problems.

That was checked. It opens as if it receives a radio signal from the remote. This is when we are driving and all doors are automatically locked. When the doors are locked, the l/g glass can only be opened from the remote. It cannot be opened by the pushbutton in the lift gate. The strange thing is that it mostly happens in the same general location (within a couple miles) and so far only driving in one direction. This is close to home, but very rural with all homes or other buildings more than a mile apart. It has also happened on occasion driving the Intersate several hundred miles away. I'm wondering if it is picking up a random RF signal of some sort and something needs to be reprogrammed or shielded.

Have you tried driving the Ex without the remote present in the vehicle?

We've tried driving it with only one or the other remote and it still pops open in the general location and direction. It will happen if either one of us are alone having our own remote. If the problem is in the remote, then it is common with either one of them. The remotes have not been touched and the l/g glass still pops open.

I think the best course of action would be to have everything re-programmed for a new signal/code.

... It cannot be opened by the pushbutton in the lift gate...

As a general observation (I'm not an EX expert), I'd be tempted to say that a connection got loose on that switch and is making contact to the point of popping your window open.

That's what I was thinking- there is a loose wire someplace.

Back