Rear main oil seal leak 01 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear main oil seal leak 01 Sport Trac

Terry Fields

Reaction score
City, State
KINGSPORT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer ST 4X4
My 01 Sport Trac is leaking around the rear main seal, my question is can I move the transmission and transfer case back out of the way or will I have to put them on the ground, also it says I don't have to drop the pan, is it as easy as explained to remove it and put the new one in. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

drop the t case
pull the trans back
With the fuel tank it would be dang near impossible to pull the t case and trans back far enough to get in there and cleanly replace your RMS
You do not have to drop the trans to the ground but you do need a bit of space to pull the old seal and properly press in the new one
Are you sure it is the rear main seal? not valve covers, oil filter mount or oil pan?

drop the t case
pull the trans back
With the fuel tank it would be dang near impossible to pull the t case and trans back far enough to get in there and cleanly replace your RMS
You do not have to drop the trans to the ground but you do need a bit of space to pull the old seal and properly press in the new one
Are you sure it is the rear main seal? not valve covers, oil filter mount or oil pan?
yeah been looking for it for a while and found oil laying in the bellhousing which explains why we couldn't find any on the ground. Thanks for the tip on the best way to move the transmission

Back