Rear (Passenger Seat) Dome Light broke off, now windows/lights don't work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear (Passenger Seat) Dome Light broke off, now windows/lights don't work

Ok, so I took the passenger seat area dome light cover off for the first time (the one where there are 3 bulbs total, 1 on the left, one on the right, and one in the middle) to check the bulbs for future reference when I go to buy new bulbs for replacements.

Now, I leave the car for a few minutes and my little nephew (5 years old) comes in and snatches the center bulb and breaks it off! After this, none of the lights go on even when any door is open and the power windows stopped working. I'm wondering if this is normal or if any of the wirings/fuses got messed up? How would I go about checking this and replacing it to make my lights/power windows work again? (Year 91 model)

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I have had this problem in the past. The interior lights and radio are on the same fuse. Just get your owners manual and find out where that fuse is and check it. I have blown mine many times messing with the dome light. The fuse should be on the far right at the back of the fuse box and is a 15 amp fuse. You may also check your power window fuse, because it is seperate from the lights.

Thanks for the reply. I went to go check my fuse box for blown fuses but I cannot find the fuse box at all!

I searched the forums and It seems like its supposed to be under the driver side steering column above the park brake but I looked everywhere and I still cannot find it.

Maybe the location for the fuse box for a 1st gen 1991-1994 explorer is different? Any ideas/help on where it is located?

It should be under the dash just to the left of the steering column. It is a little box with a top you will need to pull off. That is where it is on my 92.

Back