Rear sway bar links | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear sway bar links

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I want to change my rear sway bar links but I'm unable to jack the vehicle up at the moment since I have a sloped driveway. I can get to them just fine with the spare tire removed and figured I'd just do it with the wheels on the ground. Is it safe to do that? Or is it dangerous to unbolt the sway bar with weight on the suspension? Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should jack it up for proper tightening down

Is this where that little shock sits?

Front bracket bolts are tapped into the frame and can be tough if there is corrosion. If bolts break or strip they can be a PITA to re-tap or install flag nuts inside the frame. Correct bracket alignment is essential for installation and to prevent binding. Top rear end link bolts have u-nuts similar to the rear sway bar brackets mounted on the axle. To avoid future issues, lightly coat the threads with anti seize.

:eek: 70 foot pounds is MUCH too tight. Even if you are using the new Moog K700542 polyurethane end links, that is more than 4 times
the needed torque. If you are using the older K7275 end links with blue bushings even less. Were the instructions provided by Moog?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414822&page=2
Moog technical service said that they use the same recommendation for either version (blue thermoplastic, or white polyurethane):
1. Tighten until you can no longer turn the center sleeve by hand.
2. Continue tightening for 2 more full revolutions.

:eek: 70 foot pounds is MUCH too tight. Even if you are using the new Moog K700542 polyurethane end links, that is more than 4 times
the needed torque. If you are using the older K7275 end links with blue bushings even less. Were the instructions provided by Moog?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414822&page=2

Ok. I'll lower the torque to 58 ft lbs then. And the instructions came in the box. I'll post a pic later.

Here's the link for my part #. I have the blue bushings.
http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/moog/wp-content/uploads/instruction_sheets/AXCF4738.pdf

Sorry. I was referring to the FRONT end links in the post above. 58 ft/lbs. is the correct torque spec for the REAR. Top bolts have
the tendency to loosen from the u-nuts attached to the frame. A drop of blue Loctite on the bolt threads will usually prevent that.

Sorry. I was referring to the FRONT end links in the post above. 58 ft/lbs. is the correct torque spec for the REAR. Top bolts have
the tendency to loosen from the u-nuts attached to the frame. A drop of blue Loctite on the bolt threads will usually prevent that.

So does 70 sound about right for the rear?

50-68 ft/lbs. shown in Ford Workshop Manual. Only the lower sway bar end link nut is shown.
I used the middle of the spec at 58 ft/lbs. with Loctite, especially for the upper frame bolt.

See pdf linked in post #3 .

50-68 ft/lbs. shown in Ford Workshop Manual. Only the lower sway bar end link nut is shown.
I used the middle of the spec at 58 ft/lbs. with Loctite, especially for the upper frame bolt.

See pdf linked in post #3 .

Ok. The blue bushings don't look too compressed at 70 ft lbs, so I'm going to leave it where the directions indicate. Thanks for all of your help. You're one of the most helpful members on this site :thumbsup:

Back