Rear tow point options

dman726749

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Greenwood Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
Ok, so here's the deal. currently i have a trailer hitch on the rear and use it as a tow point. I also have a 3" b/l and with that the hitch looks uber ghey hanging down so low. Also to be able to add my bumper lift brackets i need to take the trailer hitch off. So my question is, what other options are there for a rear tow point if i was to leave the trailer hitch off. I like the idea of the trailer hitch as a tow point, rear slider type device, and as well as its just plain useful. But i dont like the way it looks with the b/l. What other options do i have for a rear tow point. I know i can get some cheep tow hooks and put on there. Is the bumper a stable tow point? i have seen some pics of it being used around here, but i am just not sure if i would use it. Oponions wanted :D :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can add a D-ring to your factory bumper ball mount. Or why not just get the rear hitch receiver mount modified so it sits 3" higher cause of the body lift.

yea thats another option, but i am looking at the cheepest possible options......so the rear bumper is good to go...might just use that then, still undecided :(

Yeah it'll work.. I'm trying to see if I have a photo mine before I got my bumper made.

modify the hitch, it will look better and imo be more secure than the stock bumper. Warn makes a shackle reciecver which allows you to use a 3/4" d-ring with your 2" hitch. I have it and use it on both my front and rear hitches.

what bumper brackets are you using? I had my dad cut me some 1/4" steel brackets @ work and they should be up for the job, but I still wont pull anything on it...looking into getting a hitch soon. The ones that came in my lift kit was cheap looking, I opted for customs ones.
-cody

My hitch doesn't interfear with my bumper. I put my tow hooks on the side of my hitch.

Tim

hooks on the frame......custom rear bumper with a 2in reciver intergrateed.... :D or what they said move it up 3inches

I'd get some hooks and mount them directly to the frame. It's what I did and I like the way it turned ot. Just took a crap load of muscle to get that damn hold drilled (dull bit). Come on up sometime dustin, got a garage, and just bought a new dewalt 1/2 drill i need to put through a good test...drilling a frame would be a good initiation lol

(but not this weekend...1 year anniversary :D )
CP

Back