Rear wheel bearing & r/diff issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear wheel bearing & r/diff issues

gshep12

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 04 Limited 4.6L
I joined this forum last year and have reviewed many post concerning bearing and diff problems. This is my second explorer and my X had 2 with the same issues as well.
Today 3/16/10 I telephoned the NHTSA to find that there are only 10 complaints regarding the Explorer. My question to all those who have posted in this forum who having or had issues with the bearings going bad, why haven't people (you) made a call to the National safety people? It takes many calls to get the ball rolling in order for a Re-call to the Manufacter to take place. The way I see it if we all keep spending our money making repairs and never reporting our concern to the Highway Safety folks there will never be a reolve to the problem. Wheels bearing in my opinion could present a safety issue if they fail. This part is going bad long before the vehicle gets to where one might say it has high mileage. There are complaints not only in this forum. I need everyones help with this. I'm sure everyone would love to be reimbursed for making repairs to this part. If there's ever a re-call we all stand to be re-imbursed for monies spent. All it takes is about twenty minutes of your time to answer the question and have this problem documented. I called back in March2008 with a drive train concerned and was appauled at seeing very little documentation on this problem. If you are interested in doing something call 888-327-4236. I am tired of having the coals raked over me. It is time that as consumer's we stand up and hold the Manufacters accountable for defective product. To date I have replaced bearing/ rear diff & u joints. My Dad has had his r/ diff replaced under warranty as did a friend of mine with an 04 NBX explorer. After the 36mo. Ford doesn't want to know you and you are on your own. . This situation reminds me of the problem GM had back in the 70's with their sheet metal: They got away with it to my recollection, the consumer was left holding onto rotting vehicles after the 36mo warranty.
. Are you all lions or lambs? Lets make some noise!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll call this # tomorrow. I replaced mine 3 weeks ago. 117,000 miles. Never thought about doing that. Thanks!

The bold hurt my eyes.... :(

What bearings are you using to fix it? All of the rebuilt diffs we sell are updated as per ford's TSB. You keep going back to the dealer?

This post was not intended for people looking to make a sale by claim that their product is superior to that of the manufacter. It is intended for all of us who have spent money making repair to a part that seems to have premature wear out stamped on it; not acceptable in my eyes especially at the cost of vehicles today, the cost of parts and labor to repair. My post was a call to take action; I am quite aware of the aftermarket circuit as an alternative. I don't recall stating that I keep going back to the dealer; please read the post again; thank for your input.

Yeah, well it doesn't look like your getting a huge reaction. And I wasn't attempting to make a sale, however if that was my intentions there would be nothing wrong w/ that. I'm simply stating that the issue may happen once from the factory but if you get it fixed RIGHT then it's gone. If you continue to have the same issue then you are obviously doing something wrong.

The point , with witch i agree, is that we shouldnt have had to get it fixed RIGHT the second time, if it was RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. I will certainly be calling!

I'll be calling tomorrow.

Shouldn't be an issue that needs to be fixed "right".

There is so many things that are notorious on these trucks. I will never buy a Ford again thats for sure, not after the beating they are letting us take.

Do you think there's a car company that exists that doesn't have/never had issues like this? The grass isn't greener anywhere else.

No car company makes a perfect product. Its how they deal with what is wrong that can make a difference:

Legacy, Outback, certain 2005 and early 2006 models

Rear Wheel Bearings may, over time, develop a noise condition that causes the bearing to produce a whining sound

Subaru. has initiated an Extended Warranty Program for Rear Wheel Bearings on certain 2005 and early 2006 model year Legacy and Outback models. Coverage will be extended to 8 years or 100,000 miles.
During a quality review, Subaru discovered that there is a possibility that one or both of an affected vehicle's Rear Wheel Bearings may, over time, develop a noise condition that causes the bearing to produce a whining sound. This sound does not pose a safety issue and does not adversely affect the normal operation of the bearing. However, if the vehicle experiences this condition, it should be corrected by replacing the affected bearing, which will eliminate the sound. As a result of this finding and in the interest of customer satisfaction, SOA is extending the Rear Wheel Bearing warranty coverage period for the affected vehicles to 8 years (96 months) or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Technical Service Bulletin number 03-58-08

Yeah, well it doesn't look like your getting a huge reaction. And I wasn't attempting to make a sale, however if that was my intentions there would be nothing wrong w/ that. I'm simply stating that the issue may happen once from the factory but if you get it fixed RIGHT then it's gone. If you continue to have the same issue then you are obviously doing something wrong.

Mr.Ericautopart,
If I've opened eyes and pointed someone in a direction where their voice can be heard I'm happy... Change never happens over night...
It appears that you are in New Jersey, point me in a direction...

No car company makes a perfect product. Its how they deal with what is wrong that can make a difference:

Legacy, Outback, certain 2005 and early 2006 models

Rear Wheel Bearings may, over time, develop a noise condition that causes the bearing to produce a whining sound

Subaru. has initiated an Extended Warranty Program for Rear Wheel Bearings on certain 2005 and early 2006 model year Legacy and Outback models. Coverage will be extended to 8 years or 100,000 miles.
During a quality review, Subaru discovered that there is a possibility that one or both of an affected vehicle's Rear Wheel Bearings may, over time, develop a noise condition that causes the bearing to produce a whining sound. This sound does not pose a safety issue and does not adversely affect the normal operation of the bearing. However, if the vehicle experiences this condition, it should be corrected by replacing the affected bearing, which will eliminate the sound. As a result of this finding and in the interest of customer satisfaction, SOA is extending the Rear Wheel Bearing warranty coverage period for the affected vehicles to 8 years (96 months) or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Technical Service Bulletin number 03-58-08

Thank you Miker104,
I couldn't aggree with you more. I'm the Daughter of a Ford Retiree. I've owned and enabled others to get discounted when buying any vehicle owned by Ford. I've remained loyal to the brand; my experience has been less than good. The issues with the Explorer have been in existence far too long; repairing or replacing a Diff is not cheap. The Hub/Bearing assembly you would think would have been improved upon after all these years; with all the technology there's no excuse for it otherthan profit before people...
Toyota and Honda are prime example; if I owned one I'd be in their forum.

Mr.Ericautopart,
If I've opened eyes and pointed someone in a direction where their voice can be heard I'm happy... Change never happens over night...
It appears that you are in New Jersey, point me in a direction...

I don't disagree with what you are doing by any means. When I went to ask what the issue was and explained it should only happen once, you seemed to think I was just pushing a product on you when I was actually trying to help, and not sell a product. At the same time, going to a different car company isn't a bad thing (I just bought my wife a GMC) but that doesn't mean it'll never happen again.

Are they needing documentation for the repairs and replacements?

I replaced both of my front bearing/hub assemblies at 100k because they were shot, my rears also need to be replaced..just haven't had a proper garage to do the job...2 more weeks for that!

Also, my rear diff was rebuilt by Ford at 60k miles while under warranty, due to the "whine" issues, and the problem poked it's ugly head back again at 100k as well, so it truly would need another rebuild, but it's no longer under warranty.

I'd be on board to make the phone call, albeit by the time (if) anything comes about towards this, my truck would be long gone. Hell, I have it up for sale right now anyway :cool: But I don't mind adding my .02 to the NHTSA, just need to know what I should have in my hand for this 20-minute phone call.

I don't disagree with what you are doing by any means. When I went to ask what the issue was and explained it should only happen once, you seemed to think I was just pushing a product on you when I was actually trying to help, and not sell a product. At the same time, going to a different car company isn't a bad thing (I just bought my wife a GMC) but that doesn't mean it'll never happen again.

Its all good... I hope the wife is happy; good luck... Could you tell me who makes the rear diff your store carries?

Are they needing documentation for the repairs and replacements?

I replaced both of my front bearing/hub assemblies at 100k because they were shot, my rears also need to be replaced..just haven't had a proper garage to do the job...2 more weeks for that!

Also, my rear diff was rebuilt by Ford at 60k miles while under warranty, due to the "whine" issues, and the problem poked it's ugly head back again at 100k as well, so it truly would need another rebuild, but it's no longer under warranty.

I'd be on board to make the phone call, albeit by the time (if) anything comes about towards this, my truck would be long gone. Hell, I have it up for sale right now anyway :cool: But I don't mind adding my .02 to the NHTSA, just need to know what I should have in my hand for this 20-minute phone call.

No documentation required, they will document your concern. My diff went out at 67k just a little over drivetrain warranty. I brought an aftermaket diff and I'm still having issues.
1st one installed May 09, 2nd one last week and its going back. The 1st leaked 5 months after installation and blew up 2.5 weeks ago. The 2nd was installed last week and leaks already, I requested my money back, the manufacter is working with me. So I'm looking for another unit again. I have a 4WD limited slip Explorer 4.6L so if anyone has any recomendations I'd appreciation the info.

Aside from my own woes, my dad's Diff was replaced @ 17k and a friend @ 22k; that helped to prompt my post . I felt the wheel bearing could potientally be a safety issue, having to replace them prematurely 35k, 40k you would think this was the 60's or 70's even then you could repack them. Whose to say that a bearing willl always make noise before the point of failure...

Aside from my own woes, my dad's Diff was replaced @ 17k and a friend @ 22k; that helped to prompt my post . I felt the wheel bearing could potientally be a safety issue, having to replace them prematurely 35k, 40k you would think this was the 60's or 70's even then you could repack them. Whose to say that a bearing willl always make noise before the point of failure...

I do wish the bearings in these were serviceable, so that you could just use a puller to replace them, and/or repack them.

during my many JunkYard searches and my experience with my 2 heeps over 20yrs and 180k on one and 160k on the other (original wheel bearings), one thing i've noticed is those all have Cast Iron Steering Knuckle's. . .funny that the escapes do too. Just guessing in order to increase MPG they have tried to lighten the load by going to Aluminum. . . imho to the point that it backfires . . .
I believe the problem could be solved by going to Cast Iron knuckles and diffs which in my opinion holds the bearings and races better (think of how many solid cast iron axles there are which are still running around); also grease fittings might help to help purge any H2O that gets in there.

As to a recall, it will never happen, in the years i've been here, no one yet or that i'm aware of has had a wheel fall off because of a bad bearing, the biggest problem is the noise of a failing bearing. When i replaced mine they were tight no slack but i could feel a rough spot.

I agree I would be very nice if they would, as i've said before to bring customers back they need to 'take the profit out and put the service' back in the service department. BUT i fear to few are making to much for that to happen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i applaud your effort.

I too had my rear diff replaced.

I have all of the explorer common problems. SUCKS, but what you can do ? Luckly i bought the extended warrenty.

Back