Rear wheel bearing repeated problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear wheel bearing repeated problems

lizardking228

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer
Hi everyone. Great site, been reading for years to help me with my '03 Explorer. But now I have a problem I haven't seen before.

About a month ago I had my rear differential completely replaced on my 2wd 2003 Explorer with 130k miles. Two weeks later my original rear drivers side wheel bearing went bad and started grinding. So I replaced that (using a thread on this forum), and it went fine. A week later my original rear passenger side wheel bearing went bad and started grinding. So I replaced that, but immediately after replacing it (within driving 500-100 feet at 30-40 mph), the same rear passenger bearing started grinding and tearing itself up. It was completely ground up after driving a few thousand feet. So, I replaced it again, and again when I got up to 30-40 mph the bearing immediately went bad and ground up. I torqued the axle nut to 203 foot/lbs on both sides. The bearings were pressed by a well known reputable shop. What could be causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everyone. Great site, been reading for years to help me with my '03 Explorer. But now I have a problem I haven't seen before.

About a month ago I had my rear differential completely replaced on my 2wd 2003 Explorer with 130k miles. Two weeks later my original rear drivers side wheel bearing went bad and started grinding. So I replaced that (using a thread on this forum), and it went fine. A week later my original rear passenger side wheel bearing went bad and started grinding. So I replaced that, but immediately after replacing it (within driving 500-100 feet at 30-40 mph), the same rear passenger bearing started grinding and tearing itself up. It was completely ground up after driving a few thousand feet. So, I replaced it again, and again when I got up to 30-40 mph the bearing immediately went bad and ground up. I torqued the axle nut to 203 foot/lbs on both sides. The bearings were pressed by a well known reputable shop. What could be causing this?

Skip replacing the bearing and just replace the entire hub assembly. Timken on rockauto.com for about $150...

Sorry I should have stated that I used a new hub along with the new bearing each time. I and yes it was Timken. Amazon had the assembly for 117

Sorry I should have stated that I used a new hub along with the new bearing each time. I and yes it was Timken. Amazon had the assembly for 117

Did you put new bearings into a new hub? Don't understand why you'd need a reputable shop to press anything???

Did you put new bearings into a new hub? Don't understand why you'd need a reputable shop to press anything???

The rear wheel bearing and hub assembly come as a separate unit and have to be pressed. The fronts on the other hand are a complete assembled unit. ;)

Make sure that whoever is pressing the hub in uses a stop on the back side of the bearing. They need to have something solid for the bearing to sit on when pressing the hub in.

Thanks. I think I'll have to take it somewhere else to have it pressed.

I would have to agree and err on the thought that the shop you have taken two rear bearing assemblies to press and install did not do them correctly. Unfortunately. :thumbdwn:

Back